forward controls....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I rode a buddies Vstar with them, I thought they were kinda fun to use but would put them on my Max ? I don't think so. I just can't imagine riding like that all the time. Not saying I don't like them, just not enough I guess. It all comes down to personal preference and riding style. That just my opinion. I think if I'm not mistaken, I think Mike made some for his bike and I have no idea where you would even get some. I imagine someone makes them ! I think Mike just likes to make his own stuff.

Dreamster66 said:
ok....who has them, who likes them and any tips as to where to buy them reasonably?
In my opinion, it's the only way to go and be comfortable on the Max. Before I made mine, I felt like a pretzel with no room for my legs. For me, they have absolutely no drawback when it comes to quick shifting or running the curves. It's all in what you like and what you're used to. Took me about a couple of days of occasionally looking for the shifter once in a while, but that's the first thing I'll change with any new bike along with the bars.

Got a few pics off of eBay for a used set that was on sale. Perhaps Lew would be interested in making a set at a reasonable price if he got a firm commitment? They can always be re-sold.

The globe pic is for the nay sayers to kiss. :eusa_dance:

Attachments

• Fc1.jpg
    Fc1.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 51
  • Fc2.jpg
    Fc2.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 41
  • Fc3.jpg
    Fc3.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 31
  • butt_globe.jpg
    butt_globe.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 46
Another option is highway pegs mounted on the engine guards. This allows you to go back and forth between the highway pegs and stock pegs. My buddy used to have forward controls on his Vmax and it was weird for me. I like to move/stretch my legs. Mid controls make it easier for me to brake and lean in the curves too.

I think boxxenstopp sells forward controls for about $500.00 They are pretty high quality I believe.

http://www.boxenstopp.us/Gateway.htm

I'll have to kiss the last picture tho' cause I can't stand forward controls or pegs.

Strictly a personal preference based on riding style.

I ran a set of forward pegs on my frame braces and have tried riding a few "cruisers" that have them and for me it feels like I'm not in control but just along for the ride.
They feel to me like they remove body weight and body shift out of the picture when it comes to controlling a bike thru the twisties. To me I want to be able to use my feet to move my weight around on the bike when need be which means my feet need to be under me not in front of me.

I run rearsets on mine. have done over 500 miles in a dayon them and there were comfortable.

I'm 43 and my knees are in good shape still but when my knees go to shit like they will some day then I may be singing a different tune.

http://www.seegercycle.com has a raft of stuff for lots of bikes, Max included. They have forwards for 549.00. I'll be looking at them for mine, but only if I can retain the mid pegs. What would really be good is if you could keep both sets--use whichever whenever. They aren't giving them away, for sure, but I came from riding a Star and I like the forwards. Anyway, that's all I know.

Here's what I did to be able to put my legs in two different positions. They serve the purpose but have never really used them. They snap up and out of the way when not used. They would be good for the passenger though on a longer trip.

Kissing the globe is OK, BUT I don't want to see any licking marks and messing up the terrain. :rofl_200:

Attachments

• ExtraRest.jpg
    ExtraRest.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 56
That's a pretty cool idea. They look like the same ones I temporarily installed on my frame braces.

I wouldn't mind having a salad dinner on the Prince Edward Islands.

Last edited:
I have owned bikes with forward controls (WideGlide and Softail Custom) and ridden numberous others. I have never found one that was comfortable to ride at high speeds due to the turbulence created when your feet are out front catching the wind. The wind sweeps up your shins and hit you smack in the chest and head. On most trips I ride with my feet on the rear pegs. This puts your legs at an angle to deflect the wind and tilts your upper body slightly forward thus avoiding the turbulence caused by a windshield. I find I can go about 600 miles a day in this position at speeds of 85-90 mph and feel good when I get off. The forward controls sure do look cool on them chopper shows when they are slicing the wind at 45 mph on the highway.

I don't feel any wind shooting up my legs when riding. I have a shield but don't use it because of the turbulence it produces. As far as going fast is concerned, I frequent the triple digits quite often and lean forward to cut the wind. The position of my legs have never entered my mind at speeds or curves. Those with short legs can fold them up better than the long ones on the stock rests. I would NEVER encourage anybody to go forward because of the look. "Cool" is in the eye of the beholder BUT if the stock setup is not comfortable for you, you might just like the feeling you get from being in a different position.

I even reversed the shift pattern of pushing down to gear the bike up, but went back to stock because too many new things at once can become confusing. Racing also makes no difference where the controls are once you get used to them. To me it's like flying, being able to stretch my legs makes for a much more enjoyable trip. If I found any negatives, I wouldn't hesitate the information. Just my .02 worth.

I do suffer from leg cramps (spasms) every once in a while. I do have the crash hwy bars so if I feel one coming on, I just stick my legs out on them. Sometime having your legs bent like that can set them off. I can totally relate to the comfort thing.... but as others have said; I too don't feel 100% in control.

Robbarrie said:
I do suffer from leg cramps (spasms) every once in a while. I do have the crash hwy bars so if I feel one coming on, I just stick my legs out on them. Sometime having your legs bent like that can set them off. I can totally relate to the comfort thing.... but as others have said; I too don't feel 100% in control.
Like you Rob, I too found myself cramping once in a while on the stock setup. Believe me when I say that our bodies will adapt to whatever. It's just a matter of time of getting used to the new position. Right now I'd be fumbling around trying to get used to the stock setup again. Since I made the change, no discomfort what so ever.

I'm partial to this type of forward control! LOL!

Attachments

• feet up.jpg
    feet up.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 31

Latest posts

Back