Found a new group that annoys me much more than the HD riders.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2stangs69-91

Reaction score
I was on a ride this weekend sponsored by the local Yamaha dealer. btw I hate group rides but my friends like to go so I went , but that is a different post lol. Sadly I Was the only Vmax there .We where on one of the great riding roads in CA. hwy 36, a sign at the start of hwy 36 in Redbluff says curves next 146 miles (or something close to that) Along the way I had noticed a few older European bikes at a gas station and a few on the side of the road. They were not at the starting point of the ride with us. I was kind of behaving myself at the time cruising along at the end of the group we caught up to. In my mirror I see a guy coming up through or group in leathers on a naked bike. he is passing on corners squeezing in on double yellow lines. I kind of scoot over and let him by it is some guy on a old BMW with a sticker on the back the says hell something? You can smell this thing burning oil as he is in front of me. We are cruising along pretty good at the time in the group. This clown is leaning off his bike and looking like a pro road racer(very sarcastically). I am a little irritate at this right now because I hate getting passed lol. he weaves around the last guy just as we hit a uphill passing lane and he is going for it. Something in my head clicked and I said oh hell no and just passed the group in front of me and flew buy Mr BMW. He looked up from his racing tuck as I flew by. I kicked it up a notch and left him a few miles behind. I caught up to another group of riders a little bit later and decided to just kick it again. finally Mr BMW catches up and I wave him by. he is At it again passing the groups on corners and double yellows. I did get to watch him almost die. He passed a truck that the group had caught up to in a blind corner, came seconds away from a head on with another truck coming the other direction. The reason I didn't pass him again is because we were coming to one of our group stops.

When we reached the stop there is a bunch of these vintage Euro bikes there also some vintage jap bikes also. It turns out a group of these vintages bike riders are in a club from San Francisco and also taking a ride. I think the old bikes are nice but talk about a group of freaks lol. Nobody else was riding like a tool except the BMW guy who was road racing a bunch of guys cruising lol. So if you ever get irritated at HD guys go hang out with a euro vintage group from the Bay area. Mr BMW was heard talking to another rider about leaving early because it Was "allot of work passing all these bikes". just think how much work it would have been if they had wanted him not to pass.

I'm sure Mr BMW was only out to put in some corners and you guys were lollygagging along in his way. I'm glad he did't buy the farm. But if someone wants to go faster than you, expect to get passed. Had you kicked it up a notch, I'm sure he would have loved to go along with you. I doubt seriously he meant any disrespect to you, your group, or your bikes. He just wanted to hit the curves faster, is all.

lol he tried to go along with me when I kicked it up. His vintage oil burner would not keep up. I guess you had to be there. You are probably right he just wanted to hit some curves but putting other riders in danger by passing foolishly is the problem I was having. On a side note I could have just been pissed because I was riding behind a group I wanted to be ahead of.

Last edited:
Actually had kind of a cool experience along the same lines last night. I was on 87 North heading home, and there was a big "clot" of cars caused by someone going 65 in the right lane and 65.1 in the middle, and 65.2 in the right. Wide open road for quite a ways, but the "clot" was probably 10-12 cars long, 3 lanes wide. Normally I don't do this, but I was getting pretty fed up chugging along at 65, and the clot showed no signs of breaking up. One slowpoke pulls over, another person going .1mph faster takes his place. I notice one lane over and behind me is a KTM enduro. I really know nothing about KTM's or their models, only caught my eye because at first I thought it was a dirt bike on the highway. Anyway, I saw a gap, and "shot the rapids" and blasted down the dotted line between the big wad of cagers. Again, I broke my own rule about lane splitting, but going the speed limit for like 15 minutes had gotten me fed up. So just as I clear all the cars to 3 lanes of wide open road and kick it up to about 80-85, I see the one HID(?) super bright headlight of the KTM pop out of the same gap I just went through. He matches my speed but hangs maybe 100 yards back. I slide over to the right lane and he pulls in a bit closer, still pacing me. I know KTMs are all 2 stroke, and it seems like this guy wants to play. I slowly wind the Max up to about 100, expecting that at 80 the single cylinder KTM must have been WOT to keep up. Surprisingly, he stays right there, maybe 50 yards back. By now we're in traffic again, so I "deftly maneuver" around cars when possible, but not directly splitting lanes. He followed my trail almost exactly. Came to a gentle incline, I brought it up to around 100 again, and he started closing in. I don't know what motor this thing had, but it was the fastest enduro I've ever seen. Whisper quiet also, I never heard his motor. Had dual cans under the seat. I thought about smashing the gas and dusting him, but decided that would be an asshole move and I'm not out to show off(unless provoked). He was having fun using me as "cop cover", which I often do with NJ drivers in luxury SUVs, also known as stinkbait for NY troopers. I backed down to my usual 80, and gently made my way through light traffic for 20-30 miles, him pacing and following the the whole time. Eventually I lost sight of him so I guess he took an exit.

Actually had kind of a cool experience along the same lines last night. I was on 87 North heading home, and there was a big "clot" of cars caused by someone going 65 in the right lane and 65.1 in the middle, and 65.2 in the right. Wide open road for quite a ways, but the "clot" was probably 10-12 cars long, 3 lanes wide. Normally I don't do this, but I was getting pretty fed up chugging along at 65, and the clot showed no signs of breaking up. One slowpoke pulls over, another person going .1mph faster takes his place. I notice one lane over and behind me is a KTM enduro. I really know nothing about KTM's or their models, only caught my eye because at first I thought it was a dirt bike on the highway. Anyway, I saw a gap, and "shot the rapids" and blasted down the dotted line between the big wad of cagers. Again, I broke my own rule about lane splitting, but going the speed limit for like 15 minutes had gotten me fed up. So just as I clear all the cars to 3 lanes of wide open road and kick it up to about 80-85, I see the one HID(?) super bright headlight of the KTM pop out of the same gap I just went through. He matches my speed but hangs maybe 100 yards back. I slide over to the right lane and he pulls in a bit closer, still pacing me. I know KTMs are all 2 stroke, and it seems like this guy wants to play. I slowly wind the Max up to about 100, expecting that at 80 the single cylinder KTM must have been WOT to keep up. Surprisingly, he stays right there, maybe 50 yards back. By now we're in traffic again, so I "deftly maneuver" around cars when possible, but not directly splitting lanes. He followed my trail almost exactly. Came to a gentle incline, I brought it up to around 100 again, and he started closing in. I don't know what motor this thing had, but it was the fastest enduro I've ever seen. Whisper quiet also, I never heard his motor. Had dual cans under the seat. I thought about smashing the gas and dusting him, but decided that would be an asshole move and I'm not out to show off(unless provoked). He was having fun using me as "cop cover", which I often do with NJ drivers in luxury SUVs, also known as stinkbait for NY troopers. I backed down to my usual 80, and gently made my way through light traffic for 20-30 miles, him pacing and following the the whole time. Eventually I lost sight of him so I guess he took an exit.

If he was riding a KTM Supermoto he could run with you all day. They are a big twin and 4 cycle. Very much like a Hypermotard and quite fast. Think you would have been surprised by him keeping up with you and possibly passing:confused2:

Attachments

• 990_SM_orange.jpg
    990_SM_orange.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 55
I dunno, never got close enough for a good look, though it definitely had dual exhausts, which struck me as odd because I thought they were all 2 stroke singles of various sizes. That kind of looks like it, but hard to say for sure. Thought KTM's big "thing" was their commitment to 2 stroke technology? Guess everything changes.

Looks like BMW riders are bigger assholes than BMW drivers.

I dunno, never got close enough for a good look, though it definitely had dual exhausts, which struck me as odd because I thought they were all 2 stroke singles of various sizes. That kind of looks like it, but hard to say for sure. Thought KTM's big "thing" was their commitment to 2 stroke technology? Guess everything changes.

The last LEGAL 2-strokes on the road in the USA were 1985 Yamy RZ350's I believe........

It turns out a group of these vintages bike riders are in a club from San Francisco and also taking a ride.

Mr BMW was heard talking to another rider about leaving early because it Was "allot of work passing all these bikes". just think how much work it would have been if they had wanted him not to pass.

I bet they were.

If I had heard him mention passing all the other bikes I would have sauntered up to him and asked him if his bike had a bad wheel or cracked frame as I noticed the screwed up position he was in when I passed him. I would then make the helpful suggestion that he check his mill for a broken piston, or cracked rings as the massive amount of oil he was pumping out under load had oiled down a group of big dudes on the other side of the parking lot that were asking around trying to find the jerk off on the f'd up BMW.

:whistlin:

oh trust me if I would of personaly heard that I would have made a comment. Especialy how a cruiser bike could so easly smoke a fine racing machine like he was on.....and being the pro rider that he is.

While it's true a professional or highly experienced rider can eek out a bit more performance from a bike than say an "average" rider, people tend to take this to extremes and think their mAd SKillZ will make their POS bike run with something double the horsepower. No matter how perfect your shifting is or how tight your launch was, it just isn't happening.

Speaking of oil-burners, while I was out riding this weekend with some friends we were on 87 going south, towards the city. 2 lane highway, fairly heavy traffic. Moving, but at the speed limit. That doesn't fly for us. Our preferred cruise is about 90. A couple cars up were one of the funniest groups of HD goofballs I've ever seen. One guy was super-ultra morbidly obese, riding some little old AMF era Harley that was barely managing to keep his 400+ pound ass at the speed limit. Like ass was 3x as wide as the seat. Had some serious hang-over/sag factor going on there. His 5XL leather vest was more like a sports bra when viewed from behind, and I could see the rear shocks were bottomed out. The second guy was the poster child for the H-D "i am a bad ass muthafucker" store bought image. Every HD stereotype, this guy had it. German soldier helmet with lots of rude/lude stickers, HD dealer t-shirt as the extent of his riding gear, bandana w/sunglasses, and wait for it....handlebar tassles! Of course straight pipes to round out the run of the mill Harley asshole get-up. The third guy was in training to the second for the complete HD asshole package, but made up for it in bike shitti-ness. You could maybe call it a ratrod bike, but that would be a disrespect to ratrods everywhere. This thing was ancient, rusty, and decrepit, the oldest HD I'd ever seen actually moving under it's own power. As I got closer(we were slowly working our way up through traffic), it was clear this thing was burning oil big time, but oil burning is rare among HD's,they usually leak it all out before they get enough miles to burn the rest off, this one needed more practice to get it down. The smell wasn't quite right. Not smoking enough to see, but I could definitely smell it. Smelled like a burning tire filled with dog shit. Nasty to the extreme. First time I'd ever seen a bike burning oil.

So we finally catch up to fat-ass, bad-ass wannabe, and rolling wreck and are passing them in the left lane. We were going to slide back over to pass the car going 65.1mph in the left, but right as we were going to bad-ass suddenly smacks the gas on his straight pipes and closes the gap. We're still stuck behind the car going the speed limit. Fatass and oilburner start to catch up to bad-ass, and under the tremendous acceleration from 55 to 65 has both of them pouring smoke out the tailpipe. Badass looks over, pulls the clutch in and revs the shit out of his irrigation pump. Sounds like firecrackers in a tin can. My buddy flips him the bird. However, that opened up the gap , and we (Vmax, M109, and two R6's) shoot through the gap, now in front of the three stooges. I can hear(and shortly see the smoke) that they are at WOT trying to catch up. We weave through traffic a bit and put several cars between us. Traffic opens up a bit and we kick it up to about 80, slide to the right lane, and cruise for a while. Probably 10 minutes later, the stooges catch up, and go "blowing" by us at 81mph. Fatass and rolling wreck and pouring smoke again with the effort to go that fast. My buddy, who's leading our group, rolls up and matches pace. I stay back and observe. Bad-ass is a ways in front, his AMF is really haulin' ass now at nearly 90. He hasn't noticed my friend's comparatively quiet M109 next to him in the other lane . He goes WOT for quite a while, topping out at a tad over 100. He finally looks to see how bad he's "dusted" us, and sees the M109 right next to him, and the rest of us keeping a bit back on the lookout for dropped parts. Apparently he had a bit of throttle left, since the tin-can rattle got even louder, though the bike didn't seem to go any faster. We started up a slight incline, fatass and rolling wreck had almost farted themselves up to the ton from a good minute at WOT, but quickly fell back. I dropped the Max to 4th and smashed the gas. Instant v-boost RPM, and as the bad-ass is losing out against gravity, I blow by him pushing past 120. I could see the frustration on his face that his "american iron" couldn't muster much more than the speed of a mouse fart. I'm sure they went home to their local biker bar and told everyone about how they smoked a bunch of rice burners on the highway, and that they blew by us at 150 "with plenty of throttle left to go" or some other outrageous story, but you can bet it was lapped up like antifreeze at a petting zoo.

Nah, I think HD riders are still top of the annoying assholes list. Most bimmer riders are older guys on sport-tourers wearing blaze orange reflective vests. They don't bother anybody, other than they rarely exceed the speed limit. However they almost always slide over to let me pass them, so they're courteous too.

very nice story you are correct most BMW guys are cool. It was just this group from the gay bay that really was special lol. Picture the sterotypes you have heard about the people you might see in San Francisco. Then put them on vintage BWM bikes even a scooter lol.

I tend to not lock horns with geezers in old bikes in general. Some of those grizzled bearded old farts will ride the wheels off that vintage steel and embarass the sht outta some hard core sportbike riders in the canyon twisties. Ask me how I know... :rofl_200:

How do you know? :ummm: I don't get it. :biglaugh:

As I said, a good rider can make all the difference in an even match up, but a sportbike against a Harley is like racing a Ferrari and a Winnebago. The guys I ran into weren't old geezers, they're old and wise enough to realize they don't need to dress like a pirate and pretend to be a bad-azz and just enjoy the ride. These were the textbook definition of posers, a store bought image at it's finest. As usual, all bark and no bite.

Back