• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Frame braces

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are fitting frame braces for handling improvement personally I would replace engine mounts for billet items instead, engine becomes a stressed member of the frame and stiffens it right up. Only induces a slight vibration into the frame and personally I barely notice. I always do it to my gen 1 maxs.

RMSportmax! 610 509 8629IMAG0616.jpgIMAG0617.jpg I spoke to John this morning, he said he'd be back in the shop by the 19th. I have them on my bike
along with solid motor mounts creating a solid core. My bike has a 5 7/16" extended swingarm along with a 300 tire/wheel, alot of added weight to the max. The difference was night and day when done all at once. IMHO these
are the only way to go because one point is welded in, then bolted, the other end is bolted to the front motor mount. I welded the rear tab in where the frame bars intersect for "triangulation". The bars that use clamps cant clamp to that spot nor to the frame as solidly as the afore mentioned setup. He also described three different finishes, two of those to match certain year frame finishes, the third is a polished chrome,
so give him a call for that. Sorry for the fuzzy pics

I have those RMSport max frame braces too and they tightened my Max right up.

Attachments

• Right-Side-view-with-Gen-2.jpg
    Right-Side-view-with-Gen-2.jpg
    349.7 KB · Views: 54
If you are fitting frame braces for handling improvement personally I would replace engine mounts for billet items instead, engine becomes a stressed member of the frame and stiffens it right up. Only induces a slight vibration into the frame and personally I barely notice. I always do it to my gen 1 maxs.

I appreciate the advice. I will start with the braces and if I do not see a big improvement in handling I will have to find the time to do the engine mounts.
Thanks

RMSportmax! 610 509 8629View attachment 73191View attachment 73192 I spoke to John this morning, he said he'd be back in the shop by the 19th. I have them on my bike
along with solid motor mounts creating a solid core. My bike has a 5 7/16" extended swingarm along with a 300 tire/wheel, alot of added weight to the max. The difference was night and day when done all at once. IMHO these
are the only way to go because one point is welded in, then bolted, the other end is bolted to the front motor mount. I welded the rear tab in where the frame bars intersect for "triangulation". The bars that use clamps cant clamp to that spot nor to the frame as solidly as the afore mentioned setup. He also described three different finishes, two of those to match certain year frame finishes, the third is a polished chrome,
so give him a call for that. Sorry for the fuzzy pics
I will be calling him next week . Thanks for all the info guys

I appreciate the advice. I will start with the braces and if I do not see a big improvement in handling I will have to find the time to do the engine mounts.

As fitting braces involves some welding wouldn't it be easier to fit the solid mounts first?
If you didn't like them it would be (reasonably) straightforward to refit the OE mounts.
If you didn't like the braces then you would be left with the welded mounting brackets which would detract from the originality of the bike should you decide to sell.

As fitting braces involves some welding wouldn't it be easier to fit the solid mounts first?
If you didn't like them it would be (reasonably) straightforward to refit the OE mounts.
If you didn't like the braces then you would be left with the welded mounting brackets which would detract from the originality of the bike should you decide to sell.
Front solid motor mounts are really easy to fit, rear mount is a bit more tricky but worth the effort. As for cost in the UK new billet engine mounts sell for around £65 ...... compare that to the frame braces. I would supply and fit for £100. Only the weld in braces are as effective as the solid engine mounts.
If you want frame braces for the look then fair enough go for it.

Thanks
Braces can help mask the problem. But what is happening. The motor mounts get old.and allow the motor.to move around in the frame. I replaced tires and wheels.was looking at frame braces. Then hooked up with Sean. And got solud motor mounts. Problem solved.bike is tight. And handles great ( for a gen 1 )
$100 dollar fix.

I had Holeshot bolt on frame braces on my 94. To be honest, didn’t make a huge difference that I could feel. I’m inclined to agree with those recommending the solid motor mounts.

...so much so that I am strongly considering adding them to my shortlist.

...not to mention that my notion of building a solid old Vmax on a shoestring budget has totally gone out the window.

I had Holeshot bolt on frame braces on my 94. To be honest, didn’t make a huge difference that I could feel. I’m inclined to agree with those recommending the solid motor mounts.

...so much so that I am strongly considering adding them to my shortlist.

...not to mention that my notion of building a solid old Vmax on a shoestring budget has totally gone out the window.
I had them on my 02 seemed to keep the hunching up like a cat calmed down under hard acceleration, also had them chromed I liked that look might look into the mounts as well

My analogy would be like a performance mod to an engine. If you put a huge 4 barrel on well maybe some but not much H.P. gain. If you add the 4BBL with a cam, manifold, headers etc. They all add up to compliment each other.
Frame braces + solid motor mounts+"Super brace"= Noticeable gains in rigidity based on my experience with my somewhat unusual modifications.
I have heard/read about a vibration caused by solid motor mounts, I personally have not had that issue with aluminum
mounts.

I had them on my 02 seemed to keep the hunching up like a cat calmed down under hard acceleration, also had them chromed I liked that look might look into the mounts as well

The huntching up.is a shaft drive thing.
At the track.I run solid struts.on the rear.(instead of rear shocks)
No lift from the shaft drive. But tends to want to.spin tire more. Now I need a sticky tire.

Back