Free AVG Antivirus Software!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotsokids

Reaction score
I installed this a couple weeks ago, and it seems to work very well. My Norton A/V stopped working on my Vista system, and does not install on my Windows 7 system.

This is certainly better than nothing! I don't see any limits on the program at all.

Oh... did I say it's FREE? :thumbs up:

Here is the link.

Been using this for a couple of weeks now..only drawback is it does seem to take a while longer to load programs

It is highly rated, and I have used it in the past. I picked up a free copy of Symantec Internet Security 2009 at a trade show and will use that until it runs out in 1 year. Another good free AV is Avast!
You should also consider a software firewall even if you using a router as a hardware firewall and it is essential if you do not have a hardware firewall. Check out ZoneAlarm. Check out how firewalls work.
Another program to look at is Threatfire which works "by detecting malicious behavior, such as capturing your keystrokes or stealing your data, instead of only looking for known threats like normal antivirus software."
Once you have your defences up make sure that you keep it updated, this includes all Microsoft, antivirus, and firewalls, have set to update automatically, and check them to make sure they are up to date. Scans should be run at least weekly.
Here is some basic guidelines put out for students at Georgetown University. While some of it is only for their students there is good info to keep in mind:http://uis.georgetown.edu/helpdesksandsupport/computer.protection.students.html

I used the free version for a while on both my home computers. Found a few trojans got through so upgraded to the AVG pro version and have had no problms since. The free version works well if you're on dial up but it's a little weak for broadband IMO.

I have used AVG free for the last 5y without any issue on different version of windows from XP to 7. Now I'm testing Microsoft Security Essential which is fully free.
I'm using the integrated firewall of windows but I'm always behind a router which is also providing a firewall solution.
I'm in the IT business for more than 15y, and I can say it's a mess when it's about security.
So many tools for firewall, malware, virus, etc ...
The rule i trust is to keep it simple.

A router/firewall is a must and you have to disable all ports by default. Even with an antivirus don't go on internet without a firewall. Integrated firewall is the minimum.
I experienced many times newly installed computer getting contaminated after 15 min.
IMO full integrated solutions are most of the time heavy and will require powerful computer to run them smoothly.

After saying that, it's always better to have too much security than not enough but the first thing to do is to be careful what you're downloading and from where.

free-av.com

I have used this one for years, and occasionally install other to check and have grown to like this.

Someone else just mentioned Avast so i might switch to that. I just pick up this netbook and don't know if it has a firewall or any other stuff..how do you check if it comes with it?

Does it run on windows ? if that's the case you have already the default firewall embedded.
It might not be the best but it does the job and it's not noticeable.

If it's a linux based netbook, I cannot tell you since it might be different each time.

Avast, Kaspersky are also good ones.

+1 for avast. 4 Laptops and 3 Desktops in and out of our house. Virus free, But it helps when you surf with half a clue.

first thing I do is pull all of the av off of my computers. As long as you don't download bullshit and get the trojans and adaware off every so often you won't have any problems. The majority of the viruses out there these days are targeting the anti virus software themselves. My laptop is 2.5 years old and still runs like the day I got it.

ZoneAlarm is a tremendous resource hog. Like if you computer cost less than about $2000 expect a tremendous speed drop when doing anything. I also found it "pushy" and annoying. Constantly popping crap up on the screen and bugging you to schedule scans, update this, verify that. Got rid of it less than a month after I got it. Same deal with Norton....I really hated that because it would "pop up" while a game was running and then crash the computer.

AVG free has always worked good for me...been running it since version 7.

I bought a Mac... I don't have these issues... lol

I do have AVG on the Parallels side of my Mac at work which has 64 bit W7 on it.

Chris

Same deal with Norton....I really hated that because it would "pop up" while a game was running and then crash the computer.

AVG free has always worked good for me...been running it since version 7.

Supposedly the latest Norton is the Bee's Knees. TOTALLY different to how it used to be and it takes half the time to install and remove now as well.

Chris

Back