Free Play in shifter

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidon

Reaction score
There seems to be some free play in my shifter when I put some weight on it before shifting..does not feel tight like it used to before going into gear..now feels a little bouncey. What would cause this? I did take off the middle gear nut and put it back on..don't know if its related or something else is causing this.

There seems to be some free play in my shifter when I put some weight on it before shifting..does not feel tight like it used to before going into gear..now feels a little bouncey. What would cause this? I did take off the middle gear nut and put it back on..don't know if its related or something else is causing this.

Looking more closely it appears there is a little side to side play in the shift rod whereas before there was none. Is there a way to tighten this?

The shaft that is bolted to MDG cover. There's no bushing there so after a while
aluminium lever gets an oval bore. You can not tighteen it. You can try to shim
the axial play but this will help only a bit. I suggest buying a new lever(still a lot
of clearance) or boring and sleeving the old one with bronze bushing.
I have done it before with a good result.

Prez

Thanks. Actually your explanation made me realize what is going on. I have a temporary cover on until I get my clear cover repaired and the bottom of the temporary cover does not have the hole for the rod to go through so there is no support for the rod. have to wait until I get the other cover back.

Tom

There seems to be some free play in my shifter...what would cause this?

You will probably have wear in two places; at the main pivot and within the articulated bearings at either end of adjustment rod.

The fix - why of course, it's the MaX Midnight precision shift linkage!

picture.php

The pivot hole in the lever was drilled and bushed to give a good fit with the pivot to minimise radial movement; additionally a spacing shim was added to reduce movement along the axis.

Good quality spherical bearings were used in place of the OE jobbies.

Shifting is now far more precise.

Latest posts

Back