• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Free to good home: 2003 Vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyclejohn

Reaction score
I had a fire at my house the evening of April 11th and it burned up my 3 bikes. A 2000 Ace Tourer, a 2002 VTX1800, and a 2003 Vmax. The Ace Tourer and the Vmax got the worst of it and the Vmax got the worst of it of those 2.

Prior to the fire all of my bikes looked like brand new because, well, that's just how I took care of them. The Vmax only had a little over 18K on it. I had just finished putting the Vmax back together that morning after adjusting valve clearances and replacing the valve cover gaskets (they were weeping slightly from age, not leaking). I took it out for a 250 mile shakedown run and it was flawless. The fire happened about 3 hrs. after I had closed up the shop for the night (fire was an electrical outlet short, it was not bike related).

The whole point of this post is to say that if someone who likes Vmaxes as much as I do would like to come get it to either salvage parts from or rebuild, I wouldn't be against it. I don't want it to sit for months under a tarp (my only building burned down in the fire), and I don't want to haul it off to the scrap metal yard when there are so many parts on it that I see as being viable.

The fire pretty much burned everything up above motor height. The wiring harness and electricals and electronics are completely gone. The seat and all electricals under it - gone.

I believe the wheels are fine but they have a thick coat of soot and gooey oil film on them from when the fire hose met the burning jugs of oil in the building and kinda exploded. I believe the engine to be good. I believe the frame to be good. It has a Venture final drive on it and I also have the stock Vmax final drive - The plastic dust rings are melted and they have that gooey on them. It has a set of the stainless steel Focker exhaust 4 into 4 on it covered with soot and some goo that I think will clean right off (I paid close to $1000 dollars for them. It has a notched and braced swingarm on it that runs a 200 tire no problem. It has a custom rear brake stay on it that would clean up fine. The factory grab rail would clean up fine. The frame I believe is good but would have to be cleaned up. There are quite a few things from engine level down that I believe to be salvageable.

It makes me sick to look at it but I believe that the right person could use a lot of the parts. I want to rebuild it but the reality is I don't have the energy or health to do so (I'm old and have quite a few health issues) and I lost a lot of my tools in the fire also that would have been necessary.

But, that's what I have (a burned up 2003 Vmax) for the person that could make some use of it so that it wouldn't go to waste.

It's for free but if you were pleased enough with what you found and wanted to throw $100 or $200 at me I wouldn't fight you about it (but there's no requirement for the money).

I'm located in Reidsville, NC and it would have to be for pick-up.

John

Nevermind, that's more than a 400 mile round trip from the Dragon. I'd need my time down there for RIDING. LOL! Somebody will take you up on your kind offer!!!

Just got off the phone with a member. The bike is spoken for. If anything changes I will make another post.

Thank You,
John

Nice talking with you John ! Hopefully I can put this back on the road so you can see it run again !

Kyle! You had fair dibbs :bang head:

hahaha but I'll buy some of the parts off you if you give a percentage of the price to the good sir donating the bike :punk:

I have been missing Drag racing even though its the last thing I should be doing with my back but its not an every day thing so this might be the perfect canadite since there is not much left

M&H Racemaster slick, Sun tach & shift light a crazy woodpecker smokin' a cee-gar, a pair of Mooneyes, and maybe a spun aluminum mini-tank, everything appearing to be a slap-dash 'thrown-together' build, that turns 9's... shouldn't be too-hard, w/a stronger driveshaft, some additional cubic inches, and a spray.

M&H Racemaster slick, Sun tach & shift light a crazy woodpecker smokin' a cee-gar, a pair of Mooneyes, and maybe a spun aluminum mini-tank, everything appearing to be a slap-dash 'thrown-together' build, that turns 9's... shouldn't be too-hard, w/a stronger driveshaft, some additional cubic inches, and a spray.

What exactly does the shift light do besides light up at the end of the Rev range to justify the cost? Lol

Sorry to hear about this John. I would be one unhappy guy if my garage burnt down. On the bright side, it sounds like this was an outbuilding and no personal injury occurred. It could always be worse!

I want to publicly than John once again for the awesome deal and being such a stand up guy. I don't think you could meet a nicer person. He gave me a good deal on some parts fixed us dinner put us up for the night and made us breakfast. I love meeting such great people. If you never get the chance to meet him you will be missing out so hopefully some more of yall get to meet him sometime. It's a good thing I have a full size truck though since I left with the intention of just picking up Johns and ended up making a deal on another one.

Attachments

• PART_1430261992795_20150428_185033.jpg
    PART_1430261992795_20150428_185033.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 48
Kyle,

Must have missed this thread before. Explains the melted bike image in the what you did today thread. Crazy.

John,

I hope your insurance company is treating you right.

Kyle,

Thank you for the kind words.

I can assure you, the pleasure of meeting you and Christine (sp), was all mine. You both are genuine folks. I feel good knowing that the heart inside of that Vmax that I owned for 12 yrs. will beat again, whether it be in a creation of yours or in another Vmax that needs a heart transplant.

John

Kyle,

Thank you for the kind words.

I can assure you, the pleasure of meeting you and Christine (sp), was all mine. You both are genuine folks. I feel good knowing that the heart inside of that Vmax that I owned for 12 yrs. will beat again, whether it be in a creation of yours or in another Vmax that needs a heart transplant.

John
Just remember the offer is always open should you decide you want a slick paint job on that VTX. I will hop on the wing come out there & get the parts bring them back & paint them & deliver them.

Back