French Fry powered car

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghostntheshell

Reaction score
Honda kills their plans to bring a 65mpg diesel over to North American markets. That's a full sized, 4 door powerful car that gets you 65 REAL mpg.

Now when you realize that diesel can run on deep fryer oil DIRECTLY simply by filtering it - and you add up how much deep fryer oil McDonalds and every other fast food chain tosses in the GARBAGE each and every single day....

Honda said that they want to focus on the Hybrid market instead.

Honda's insight get's worse MPG than my 1996 Tercel.

it makes you wonder - doesn't it?

A guy I work with ran his F350 on french fry oil for almost a year. Then he got lazy & didn't filter the oil properly & it cost him a couple thou to straighten it out. He mixed it with a small amount of gasoline & a couple shots of stuff he bought on the internet. Worked great 'till he got sloppy. I followed him to work one day - smelled like Long John Silvers...:rofl_200:

It's like being able to efficiently drive on GARBAGE. Great MPG - and it's currently FREE.

Yet we are trying to harness "hydrogen" or waste food and use CORN.

We are dumping millions of gallons of FREE fuel down the drain each and every year.

Big oil wins yet again.

Actually, all of the fast food resturants in our area collect and sell their oil to a "reclaimer". I checked into it .....I have an 05 duramax diesel.

Actually, all of the fast food resturants in our area collect and sell their oil to a "reclaimer". I checked into it .....I have an 05 duramax diesel.

Same here. I have an 03 F250 Diesel and getting ahold of the WVO (waste veggie oil) is harder than you think. It is considered haz waste here in Cali so the restrictions on it are pretty tight.

Plus you CANT just filter it and run it. You have to start the engine on diesel first, get it hot then you can switch over when the temp is hot enough or you will f*ck up the engine good. Before you shut it down you have to switch back over to diesel. You also have to carry another tank in the bed with a switch to go back and forth between your regular fuel and your WVO

You can turn WVO into Bio Diesel that you can run straight but with that you need a processing "facility". It is a set up you put in your garage somewhere and it is not cheap. Once set up you can make your diesel for right around $1/gal and it takes the average owner who drives 12-15000 miles a year around a year or two to recoup their cost. Not including the time it takes to round up enough WVO every week then the time to "refine" it.

Now dont get me wrong, I am all for WVO and have pursued several times trying to get this done. It is difficult for a single person to do and is easier if you have several people in on it. It is a very good alternative but you will never (I know never say never) be able to run a fleet of trucks on it.
Cheers

As soon as someone figures out there is a market.....the price goes up.....

If 2 people are trying to get WVO from the same place it will go to the highest bidder.....thus raising raw material cots......and the cost of your final product.....a vicious cycle that causes ALL viable fuels, available in the proper quantities, to cost about the same.....:bang head:

I have also heard horror stories about different types of WVO....it seems as though if you get WVO that has been used for deep frying chicken wings, that the wings have tiny hairs that are released during frying....these hairs are almost impossible to filter out, and if you get them in your injectors YOU ARE SCREWED!!! Another problem is the fact you have to keep the WVO heated during cold weather usage. I think I will just keep buying fuel at the pump

What really angers me is that to produce diesel requires less work (= cheaper) than to refine oil into pump gas, yet diesel is more expensive than regular at the pump!!

What really angers me is that to produce diesel requires less work (= cheaper) than to refine oil into pump gas, yet diesel is more expensive than regular at the pump!!

Yes the process to "crack" diesel takes less energy than making gasoline.
It is what happens after the refining that makes it more expensive. The new EPA guidelines for ULSD, ultra low sulfur diesel, 15ppm vs the old 500ppm, adds consiberable expense. Hence why it is more expensive. Here in california it is just a tad cheaper than regular.
There is a refinery right up the road from where I work and we talk shop every now and then.
You will notice though that diesel does not suffer the huge price flucuations that gas does. Since the demand is pretty constant so is its price.

Back