Front brake lever doesnt activate the brake light.....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

customizedcreationz

Reaction score
Ok, I am not an electrician and searched all over and tried some of the things I found to no avail.

I read in one post about checking the yellow wire in the rear.

11.9 volts with the rear brake lever ( which actually works the light fine )

6.xx volts with the front brake lever pulled, but it does NOT activate the light....

So I am getting power through the switch up front. I am thinking of taking the switch apart anyways, because I have had those go bad in the past and a cleaning internally fixed the problem. But I am not sure this time. I tried chasing the wire back and ran into taking half the bike apart and didnt want to do that.

So I am curious with my 6 volts vs 11.9 volts reading of the rear brake lever vs the front brake lever readings.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Todd

Disconnect the green/yellow wire from the front brake switch. Put the red lead of your voltage meter in the terminal, the black lead to a good ground. Turn the ignition on, pull the brake lever, confirm the switch is good. Should read battery voltage, or very close to it.
If O.K., use a jumper wire from the same terminal to the yellow wire terminal of the brake light connector. Then measure the voltage at the bulb socket.
If not full voltage, the problem would be the green/yellow wire from the front switch, OR the connection where it joins the yellow wire (from the downstream side of the rear brake switch) I don't know exactly where this is, only that it would be within the wiring loom, above the rear brake.
Good luck!

Another way to eliminate switch is to pull the two connectors from switch and jumper them together. Same effect as pulling brake lever.

If that doesn't light the brake, next stop would be a 9 pin connector that all the wires pass through for the front throttle side switch. There, place a jumper from the Brown wire to the Green/Yellow wire. Try this on both sides of the connector pairs, one side at a time.

If above doesn't work, then I would suspect a break in wiring from front switch to the rear switch in the Green/Yellow wire.

Gary

Attachments

• VMax brake.jpg
    VMax brake.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 10

Latest posts

Back