Front Brake Upgrade to '90 max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geek_Law

Reaction score
So I read up on the front brake upgrade for the pre-93 maxes. I think I've got it, but if my summary below is incorrect, then somebody please smack me.

I just bid on two gold Hayabusa 6-pot calipers.

My understanding is that I can use the stock reservoir, master cylinder, lines, and rotors, but if I want, I can upgrade to R1 Rotors for years '99-01 and can use a master cylinder from a hayabusa.

I've PM'd Sean asking him for one of his black powder coated adapters.

Does that all sound right?

If so, I'll post up pics and a walk through of the upgrade when I do it so that its a bit easier for others. I found some pics that somebody posted here, but everything was already assembled.

Thanks for your input.

Close. I believe you also need late model rotors. The early model rotors do not work and don't think Sean makes adapters for those.

+1 to what mark said. Gotta go with the newer rotors. I was talking to a guy with a newer wrecked busa and he has some 6 pot tokico's for sale for $50 + shipping. If anyone is interested shoot me a pm and I'll forward his email.

I was researching and planning to buy a set and found these on CL but never followed thru.

The hayabusa calipers from '98 to '07 will work with a adapter you can get from Sean on the early forks (pre '93). you can use with stock vmax M/C and lines. You'll also need the larger 298mm rotors for this conversion.
The R1 calipers can be fitted to early forks with a adapter. Sean dosen't make a adpter for this setup but you can get one from either Customvmaxservices in the U.K. or from Quality Part online, but neither is very cheap. You'll also need the larger 298mm rotors for this conversion too.
Not 100% sure on the hayabusa M/C but you can use a R1 M/C but not sure on which years work best. You can also use a FJR M/C, if you want the mirror mounts you will need to get the FJR M/C from a 2003.
Sean is getting married this weekend so he may or may not respond to your PM until he can get to a computer once again.

Last edited:
Close. I believe you also need late model rotors. The early model rotors do not work and don't think Sean makes adapters for those.

Thanks for the correction! I bid on the calipers, but not the rotors yet. Glad I waited.

+1 to what mark said. Gotta go with the newer rotors. I was talking to a guy with a newer wrecked busa and he has some 6 pot tokico's for sale for $50 + shipping. If anyone is interested shoot me a pm and I'll forward his email.

I was researching and planning to buy a set and found these on CL but never followed thru.

Perfect! Send me his email and I'll hit him up if my Ebay bid doesn't work.

The hayabusa calipers from '98 to '07 will work with a adapter you can get from Sean on the early forks (pre '93). you can use with stock vmax M/C and lines. You'll also need the larger 298mm rotors for this conversion.
The R1 calipers can be fitted to early forks with a adapter. Sean dosen't make a adpter for this setup but you can get one from either Customvmaxservices in the U.K. or from Quality Part online, but neither is very cheap. You'll also need the larger 298mm rotors for this conversion too.
Not 100% sure on the hayabusa M/C but you can use a R1 M/C but not sure on which years work best. You can also use a FJR M/C, if you want the mirror mounts you will need to get the FJR M/C from a 2003.
Sean is getting married this weekend so he may or may not respond to your PM until he can get to a computer once again.

Great! Thanks for the info. I'll add an FJR M/C to the list as well then. I want to get this done asap because the thing is a bit scary to bring down from high speed with the weak brakes.

The late model rotors are 298mm, you can use R1(98 to 2003) and I'm pretty sure R6/ FJR/ Warrior but not sure which years. I'm sure there are others, somebody will chime in to verify the correct years and if there are more models so you can broaden your search.

I've got an '02 and need desperately to upgrade my front brakes.... Winter project....

I just finished this very same upgrade and I can share some of my experience I hopes of saving you some aggrevasion. Yes you can use R1, R6 or FJR rotors, the problem is that they have to be 03 or older. This typically means many more mile and larger possibility for damage. You can use 03-06 Vmax rotor but they are as lite. A great compromise is Warrior rotors 05 or older. They are liter than the Vmax but never than the R1s. I found a set off of the the Warrior forum for a member last week with only 800 miles on them for $35 each. I went 2 sets of damaged ebay R1 rotors prior to purchasing a new pair of 05 Warrior rotors because I was tired of taking them on and off. I posted the pictures on this forum.

Everything else everyone said is absolutely correct.

I just finished this very same upgrade and I can share some of my experience I hopes of saving you some aggrevasion. Yes you can use R1, R6 or FJR rotors, the problem is that they have to be 03 or older. This typically means many more mile and larger possibility for damage. You can use 03-06 Vmax rotor but they are as lite. A great compromise is Warrior rotors 05 or older. They are liter than the Vmax but never than the R1s. I found a set off of the the Warrior forum for a member last week with only 800 miles on them for $35 each. I went 2 sets of damaged ebay R1 rotors prior to purchasing a new pair of 05 Warrior rotors because I was tired of taking them on and off. I posted the pictures on this forum.

Everything else everyone said is absolutely correct.

Yep. I was worried sick about getting warped rotors. I actually emailed a couple of Ebay sellers who said, "no guarantee" that they are straight. That in my mind is like them saying, "yep ... they are warped."

Anyway, I just ordered the new wave ones posted above. They were $150 plus $35.00 shipping. So that should sort the rotors.

Still working on calipers. Lines are no problem. Still need to sort the MC too.

I sure appreciate your input. I'll take some pics as I go through the process and post up a little "how to" for others.

Back