Front brakes

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VMAXXIMUM

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need some advice. I jumped on my bike this morning and my front brake lever went right to the grip. The brakes are working but obviously something is wrong. All stock except for stainless lines. The master is full and the fluid looks great. No leaks or wet spots and they were working fine the day before.

Did you bleed them to see if they will hold pressure?

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

Sounds like your piston seal in the brake master cyl isn't building pressure (bleeding internally). Time for a rebuild. A bleed as was mentioned by Traumahawk is a possibility.

Obviously this is not a time to ride the bike! See if you have any brake fluid running down the lever.

Steve only the clutch side lever was ground down a bit. Could the chilly temperatures be affecting it. This morning was much warmer and the lever was much firmer? Also Fire-medic I triple checked and there isn't a smudge of fluid anywhere.

Last year I got on the bike and while I was riding the brake lever got softer and softer. There were no leaks....and the MC was full. I rebled the brakes....and no more trouble after that. Have you bled to brakes again to see if they will hold pressure?

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

My bet is you have an air bubble that has accumulated up at the top of your line right at the banjo bolt which holds the line to the handlebar master. If you are going to re-bleed, first crack it open right there to see if there's a big bubble present. Win, lose, or draw, then you can proceed with a complete system bleed from there, after retightening the banjo.

I've had that happen years ago with my 85 and also a couple times on my Venture Royale, but with those bikes, it was my clutch side doing it.

Thanks mightily to all who helped. I zip tied the brake lever and cracked the master, left it overnight, then lightly tapped from the caliper up to the banjo nut, screwed down the lid and voila, nice firm lever, loads more feedback, way better braking. Thank you again.

Back