Front caliper swap

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milseyman

Reaction score
Can someone tell me if the 4 pot calipers from a 95 bike will fit a 92 bike is it just a case of replacing the smaller discs with the larger diameter ones thanks in advance ...

Hi Mr Milseyman and welcome to the forum. Could you add your location in your profile? We are nosey buggers.... o_O

Short answer - no.
Longer answer - the centres of the mounting holes are different and adapter brackets would be need + the larger discs.

If funds permit then get the later forks which not only improves handling but will accommodate other braking options.

Cheers yep other forks could be an option it's mostly for looks rather than braking performance

We have a number of custom brake upgrades available for all years of the Vmax. But, the most popular is the Hayabusa 6 piston upgrade. Simple adapters and you can source your own rotors and calipers (or we can provide that too).

Attachments

• Red Hayabusa Conversion 2.JPG
    Red Hayabusa Conversion 2.JPG
    214.2 KB · Views: 46
Well, if it's for look then there is only one way to go....

View attachment 81462

...and they stop quite well.
Hi Max

Could you tell me what those calipers are off (pretty please) and do you have the later forks? I've bought some blue spots from an R1 and have got the brake caliper hangers (83mm) and have found I have the later forks (43mm front end apparently) and they don't fit.
Sun is out and I'm swearing...

If it’s that easy I’m going to give myself a slap… Had it in my head that I’d need a bracket and never checked. Will have a look tomorrow.

Thank you!

Hi Max

Could you tell me what those callipers are off (pretty please) and do you have the later forks? I've bought some blue spots from an R1 and have got the brake calliper hangers (83mm) and have found I have the later forks (43mm front end apparently) and they don't fit.
Sun is out and I'm swearing...

They are ISR aftermarket jobbieies and yes, they are the later forks.

Your R1/R6 blue spot calipers should bolt-up to your late-model sliders w/no adapters required.

What he said...I know this to be true.

I wil do. Have just bead blasted them (2nd hand) and rebuilt with new seals, stainless pistons etc, but of course like a twat I threw out the old pins and am waiting for new ones as they’re on back order

Last edited:
Ad yes they bolted straight on. Had it so stuck in my head that I needed hangers, that I didn’t make the logical connection.

When you get the R1 calipers mounted, don't forget to send in pics.

I put them through the bead blaster to get the same finish as the wheels.
Bloody love this bike.

Attachments

• 6FDE873E-8053-4175-91D2-8711C379A66F.png
    6FDE873E-8053-4175-91D2-8711C379A66F.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 35
Nice bike. And the fastest color.(Blue)
Next some braided steel brake lines.you will not be disappointed.

Your R1/R6 blue spot calipers should bolt-up to your late-model sliders w/no adapters required.
Sorry to ask again.

I have upgraded my '99 Max with 17" rims and Öhlins shocks - now that I have got the handling performance I was dreaming of, my brakes are showing fading on mountain pass roads.

So I need to upgrade the brakes and look for the best possible (which is plug&play) upgrade and read of the R1/R6 brakes.

are the R1/R6 brakes from specific years fitting, are there alternatives? If yes, brake disks are quite new on mine, do I need to upgrade them, too?

Many thanks for helping!

Latest posts

Back