Front cam chain

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NHVmaxpower

Reaction score
Ok so I think my engine seemed noisey last summer & I am going to adjust the valves before riding season but as I was looking around checking chain etc I notice at a point of engine rotation my front chain is loose n sloppy if I rotate it a full circle it gets tight again then rotate again & its loose. I removed tentioner & its fine & works . The rear chain is always tight no matter how many times I rotate the engine . What is wrong or is it normal? Will the valves out of adjustment do this? I want to fix the issues before I complete the bike.

I have a short video but I cant figure out how to attach it to thread
Thanks

As long as you are keeping rotation in one direction and constant, there will be a tight side and a loose side. Now whether you have too much I cannot tell you. A new chain is labor intensive brother.

is it on youtube? just copy and paste the youtube link and it'll self populate.

No it's not on you tube.
How often do chains go bad? What I don't get is why is the front loose but the rear chain never is?
I can email the video if that help u wanna pm me your email addy

i wouldn't know for sure, i'd ask morley or similar. throw it up on youtube and then link it so we can take a look?

Are you positive the tensioner is working properly? If the rear one appears to be working you can bolt it in the front position and see if anything changes.

If someone gives me there email addy I will send video of engine running sounding loud n maybe post for me?

Coprunner I Did the oring replacement before this video was made in the fall. It does sound like it's not getting oil but never any metalics in the oil and the heads are plenty wet w oil. I'm hoping it's a valve adjustment I am also adding a oil pressure switch this winter along w a volt meter and shift light but definitely want to figure out this loud motor.

The reason that the chain is tight then goes slack is because the cam wheel is either not central on the cam or that there is a low (or high depending on your point of view) spot around the circumference.
As the cam operates at half engine speed the 'tight' spot will come round every two rotations of the crank.

Those who have adjusted chain drive bikes will recognise this phenomenon.

I can't remember if the cam chain tensioner floats, i.e. it can move in and out with the chain slipper or is constructed so that it can only take up any slack.
I think it may be the latter.

Start by removing the tensioner and check that it is not seized.

I sent the video to Sean and Kyle they both don't seem to worried n said these motors are louder than others. So I guess once I adjust my valves I should be OK. If anything goes bad I'm sure I can find a used motor if needed. So I guess I'll find out this summer. Thanks for the tips,info guys and a huge Thanks time Steveoo for posting the video for me.

Oh my bike has gone through a huge facelift once complete I'll post pics just waiting for parts to come back from powder coater. All new color and lots of add on mods.:)

Back