Front cylinder leaking oil

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Kent

Reaction score
I have noticed every time I go for a ride, even short hops of 10 miles or less, I have oil blowing on left side on top of stator case cover. It,s coming from looks like lower cylinder or base gasket. I am assuming this means that I must pull engine and do top end? Shops around here will no longer touch anything 10 years and older....sucks! Motor has only 25,000 miles, but, I bought it and am keeping it (my 2 wheel Corvette convertible) or, are there any body that I can send motor to that can build top end without blowing bank account? Funds are tight, but, I want bike done right.......Thanks, Steve:ummm:

Most likely culprit is the valve cover gasket. There is no base gasket. The head gasket could possibly leak but not common.
Give it a wash down,Simple Green will do it,then through talc all around suspected areas. The leak will show its ugly self. Best bet is to hook up with other vmax guys willing to help you out.
Steve-o

As Steve mentioned, there is no base gasket. The cylinders and upper half of the crank case are cast in one piece.

Valve cover gasket is a good suspect.

The crankcase breather housing is another. There are a couple oil lines with banjo bolts that attach to the cylinders and the breather assembly. Check out this thread for some more info. http://vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=17004

On the same line as the breather housing, what about the hose that comes off the top of it an connects to the bottom of your airbox? Is it connected? Do you have a stage 7 jet kit or Morley's jet kit? If so, check the hose connections from oil fill hole to the bottom of the air box. Does the airbox have any signs of oil in it.

Remove the chrome manifold covers. 2 out of the 8 bolts that hold the intakes on are stainless steel and a possible source of a small oil leak. Check out this thread. http://vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=16142&highlight=intake+bolt+leak

Let us know what you find out.

Another potential source is the lower inlet manifold retaining screw, particularly if this has been disturbed recently.

The thread goes into the oil gallery; a shorter screw is used and therefore if the wrong one is placed there then it is possible to torgue to the correct setting but the head is still slightly proud.
A light smear of sealer is also recommended.

I am truly having a difficult time finding oil leak, not the screws from between the cylinders, and not valve cover gasket. I am starting to believe it is from the stator gasket. Not hard to replace, and then, I'll know. Was able to tighten the stator cover bolts alittle, but seems to still have oil blowing from somewhere, going to replace gasket and try again. I hate chasing something down that seems to run a bit ahead of me.

Check the stator grommet located under the rubber cover for the slave cylinder/bleeder. The wires go through there to the R/R. Check the p/u coil grommet as well.

Mark

Check the spark plug well weep hole, could be just a leaky plug gasket or just a loose plug..

Check the spark plug well weep hole, could be just a leaky plug gasket or just a loose plug..
new plugs just installed a month ago, all were torqued to specs. Gonna check stator plug and keep following from there. Thanks, Steve I will let you guys know what it is when I find it

I'm betting my money on #2 cylinder inlet outer M6 bolt. Like Steve mentioned that one is supposed to be 16mm long as opposed to the other ones that are 20mm. Same applies for outer bolt on cylinder #3 intake.

The top of the stator cover I've never seen leak on a vmax. Like Mark mentioned, the grommet where the wires come through is a common leak and should get sealant when removing the stator cover.But, it won't end up on top of the cover. A wash and some talcum powder, then ride it?

I found a little leak ont the top of stator cover (on the front too) since i installed solid motor mounts.

I think that stronger vibrations weaken the gasket efficiency..

I cleaned off oil, cranked and sit and watched it run for 5-7 minutes and behold, I seen bubbling of oil on top of stator gasket. Ordered new one and will replace it alone with Barnett clutch and lighted cover when it arrives. Thanks for the help, I love this Max to the MAX!

Did you check to see if the bolts are tight?
You might get lucky and stop the leak just by turning a wrench.
Did that a week ago, was able to get 1/16th turn on most of them, but leak was still there. I'm just glad it's a fix that I should be able to handle without much trouble.

I have seen a leak from the gasket of a stator cover at the top as well. The gasket had shrunk and split. Not sure what had caused it to fail but it was not something I had seen again (or had a customer comment about)

Grab a quick picture of the area if you would. This other one we had was nearer to the front. Maybe 2" back or so.

I've got a leak in the same spot. Doesn't leak much but is annoying. I'm 95% sure it from the top of the stator cover as mentioned. I've never had that cover off (2002) I can't see it bubbling out though.

Dale

I got picture, just can't figure how to upload it in here. It is just past 2nd bolt on top, about 3" from front, and runs down through 2nd bolt. Steve

Back