Front Disks Rotors from China

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've heard nothing but good things.

NOTE, not from that seller though. Guys around here were buying rotors from Toby Huang on eBay, or something like that name. I've not heard anything about that seller. Those look a bit different from the ones I've seen the guys on the forum use.

Another option is Arashi rotors. Check out this site: http://www.madhornets.com/yamaha-front-brake-rotors/

I don't see any of the Arashi rotors, stated for the V-Max. I don't have the R1 Calipers, and I have a 91. They do looks nice though.

DMANN: I have a 91 with stock calipers and don't have the funds for that type of upgrade. I like that look also..

Looks like the closest I can get without modding the calipers, is something like these:
Looks to be a direct fit.

China Rotors.jpg

I'd give those a shot, I don't see any wave rotors in the smaller 85-92 (282 mm) size either.
I would use HH+ pads though, they are a Lot better than the Organic OEM pads.

I would use HH+ pads though, they are a Lot better than the Organic OEM pads.
I already have 2 sets of Sintered HH pads I got from Shawn..

I was taking the wheels off last week, to take to the local shop to put my new tires on, and noticed I had a good 4mm of break pads left on the front sets, but since the rotors are worn, I didn't want to wear the new pads prematurely, and limit my breaking ability till they seated. Thus the search for a new set of rotors. :ummm:

I already I have a new EBC rotor on the rear with a new set of pads..
Forgot my lock on one day, and bent the stock rotor.. :bang head:

Unfortunately, the Chinese Rotors will look different from what I have in the back, but, it is what it is..

Those Chinese rotors look like the OEM 93+ front rotors though, so it will just look similar to the newer models do with the drilled front and solid rear rotors.

Those Chinese rotors look like the OEM 93+ front rotors though, so it will just look similar to the newer models do with the drilled front and solid rear rotors.

LOL, I could be anal, and order one more for the the rear to make them match, but that's a waist of funds, I cannot spare right now..

I haven't installed my wheel back on yet but someone mentioned they hit the down tubes? They need to be counter sunk. I hope not

I hope that's not the case either.. I haven't mounted them yet.. Waiting for better weekend weather.

I haven't installed my wheel back on yet but someone mentioned they hit the down tubes? They need to be counter sunk. I hope not

This has been my experience. The rotors that I have, and Dmann posted the link for, are NOT countersunk. I reused the stock bolts, and spun the wheel, and nothing hit. After the ride I started looking at the closeness of the bolt head to the lower part of the forks. .005 clearance on 1 and .008 on the other. I immediately posted a question on the forum, asking if that was too close. Sean chimed in, that UNLESS the wheel bearings were bad...etc, that was PLENTY of clearance. Ive been running them for over 2 years with no issues.

I don't know how they can sell them at these prices. The quality is there. I'm on my 3rd season with cheap Chinese rotors with no issues and great stopping power. The steel is super hard too. Wear in minimal even with HH pads.

I've been running them for over 2 years with no issues.
That's good to hear.. I checked my bearings last summer and all feels fine. Road about 10 times since the weather started warming up this year and they still feel good.

292mm Chinese rotors will bolt up to pre '93 wheels (Carrozzeria's too!) As Dennis said us pre '93 Vmax's need a adapters to mount calipers, either stock or aftermarket.

LOL, I could be anal, and order one more for the the rear to make them match, but that's a waist of funds, I cannot spare right now..

OK,, Sorry, I went Anal :rofl_200: I ended up putting all the same rotors on.. I like the look and as the new pads break-in, they are feeling better and better.
And there is PLENTY of clearance on the rotor bolts.. Looks like good 7MM on all around.
20160611_175245-2.jpg

Originally, I picked up a rear EBC Rotor.
EBC Steel.jpg

Really thick rotor.. Something like 7mm, but I didn't like the fact that with only 1 week of non-use, it started to develop rust..
EBC 3 months of use.jpg

These new ones, stated that its made of Stainless Steel..
SS Rotor.jpg

Hopefully, no rust develops.

All depends on what stainless alloy was used. I have no clue what theyd use for brake disks... i can tell you though, it wont be one of the duplex alloys, that stuff is NOT cheap, lol

i can tell you though, it wont be one of the duplex alloys, that stuff is NOT cheap, lol

I'm hoping that they hold up.. It cost me $174.00 for that EBC brake that got the surface rust..
It cost around $210.00 for all 3 of the Chinese (Tarazon) rotors. The Tarazon rotors are supposed to be made of 420 Stainless Steel.

I did some research on what stainless alloys are uses for brake rotors earlier today and 410 and 420 were the main two i saw used. Those alloys arent ferrous so they can be hardened to withstand being used as brake rotors. But, the non ferrous rule dosent apply to all stainless alloys. 300 series stainless wont work period due to the way it handles heat and inability to be hardened for example.

Im a welder, so any time i can learn more info about stainless alloys and what they can be used for gets me all geeked out to learn about, lol. Those duplex alloys i refered to in my last post, some will go for $30 a pound scrap price to give ya an idea of what they cost. And thats just the ones ive worked with, lol. Im sure theres more expensive ones than what ive had the pleasure of working with, lol.

Im a welder, so any time i can learn more info about stainless alloys and what they can be used for gets me all geeked out to learn about, lol. Those duplex alloys i refered to in my last post, some will go for $30 a pound scrap price to give ya an idea of what they cost. And thats just the ones ive worked with, lol. Im sure theres more expensive ones than what ive had the pleasure of working with, lol.

No problem with learning something new.. Knowledge is power.. So the 420 SS they used is good for this application, even though its may not be the best out there.. That's OK given the reviews and the price for all 3..

On another note: I was investigating SS square sheets, when I was working on my HHO project. I wanted to see if I could supplement some fuel use, with Oxy-Hydrogen gas. Had to put everything on hold when the landlord sold the building. Water is AMAZING,, So simple, yet so powerful!!

Back