Front end wobble and best tire option

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm 225 with gear on, and I always ran 10 lbs in the front shocks. When I brought the bike back from the dealership (the 07, when I bought it in 11), it felt spooky because there was 0 lbs in the front shocks.

You guys are obviously way ahead of me when it comes to handling secrets and tire selections and you can feel free to laugh me off the forum, but I've never seen anyone mention Michelin Commander Tires. Ever since I started riding my Yamaha 1100 Maxim in 1985 I've used Dunlops. Everyone I talked to back then compared Metzlers and Dunlops as very similar. I can't remember what the model number was that I always purchased for my Maxim, but in 2011 I finally got my '85 Vmax. I can't remember what the junk front tire was, but it had a brand new Shinko on the back that I ripped down to the cords in a little over a week! At that time everyone said the bike was made for Dunlop GT Qualifiers and vice versa so that's what I ran. Never really had any problems, but last year I needed new tires and everyone was out of GT Qualifiers. My mechanic said he just discovered these new tires that do the impossible, stick better and last longer that any other tires ever. He said it was like someone discovered an amazing long lost secret. So I had him put a set on and I am still in disbelief. These are the only tires to ever squeak with the slightest movement on my painted garage floor. My Max has never ridden SO SMOOTH. I've always had a love hate relationship with Michelins on other vehicles, but I will never own another motorcycle without Michelin Commanders front and rear. Oh, almost forgot, I don't think I've had my Max over 125, but I guess I'm just lucky as I've never experienced any wobble at any speed in the 15,000 miles I've ridden it even though I've always heard about the "Death Wobble" at about 130 or 140.

I always ran the Avon front and rear, no trouble. Had a wobble around 90mph, but if you were brave enough to accelerate through it, it would go away. Didn't always wobble though. Would only wobble in 5th gear. Downshift to 4th, it wouldn't wobble, lol. Engine vibration?? Humidity, pressure, atmospheric temp. Road temp. Tire temp. Stick tongue out, don't stick tongue out, whistle camp town races?? I haven't found any rhyme or reason why mine would shake. I sold it though, and upgraded.

Just got my ‘06 at the end of this season. Adding two more lbs (30 up to 32 lbs) to the front tire made a shockingly big difference in the wobble.

Gauge says pretty much zero air pressure in the front shocks but I’ve had time to move the controls to fit the air chuck on there yet.

What should I do over the winter? Progressive front shock thing?

You should add air to the front end because it will make a huge difference in the handling on a stock front-end, w/stock springs. Experiment with pressures to find the best psi. I suggest 10-12 psi to start. Because of the small volume in the downtubes, be very-careful when adding air. If you use a compressor it's very-easy to overfill them. Using a bicycle pump or a tool like a Motion Pro manual pump is best. You can take comfort in knowing that you'll be filling the downtubes with 78% nitrogen, so you can run cute little green schrader valve caps.

Last edited:
Back