front end wobble

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kade1

Reaction score
just got a 86 v max it hasa wobble when slowing down anybody know of a dampner for the max :ummm:

First thing I would say to try would be tightening the steering head bearings and working from there. I will post a link to video from Sean Morley as soon as I find it ( If someone else doesn't beat me to it).
I got rid of my deceleration wobble from adjusting mine (but I am still trying to get rid of a high speed head shake at 115mph and up)

Setting the head bearings cost nothing, and you now know how to do it-not too tight though, the video is great. One thing I noticed doing it was, take the throttle cables apart at the junction box. They effected the way my forks fell to the left for sure. A decent brace didn't hurt either. Front tire conditiion, and air pressure too. One of the few things cheap and effective to do.

Thanks ... Watch video, fix wobble. Honestly, no wobble at all. I feel way more comfortable now. No more wobble ... I just got back from another rip ... Still no wobble!

Thanks ... Watch video, fix wobble. Honestly, no wobble at all. I feel way more comfortable now. No more wobble ... I just got back from another rip ... Still no wobble!

That is awesome to hear! glad we could help ya.

I have researched this problem to death! Mine never wobbled until I happened to bump a curb once. I have, adjusted the headbearings, lowered the forks, replaced the tires, ordered a steering shock, and now i'm gonna replace the cross brace with a billet aluminum beefier one. But this is what I have found out. The back tire on the Vmax does not track true with the front! And this is why the Vmax is so sensitive to head shake, along with not having radial tires. If you do everthing I did you will get it dialed in eventually.

^ 11 years of riding my Max and all I have ever had to do was run a Quality Front Tire (NOT the OEM S**T Tires) and tighten the Head Bearings every few years.
And Voila, No Wobble !!

PS
And yes I do exceed 130-140 MPH a few times a year. :D

969 - Bump a curb, HARD, with a bias ply tire, and you could have damaged a tire belt or two causing that tire to have a slight runout. Tire runout will tremendously increase your odds of having a high speed wobble. All that other chit you did after hitting the curb merely helps you to control, or minimize any wobble that a tire was/is causing.

Mine used to do it by riding around a town full of chitty, ill-maintained brick streets, complete with some bricks completely missing. Replace a back tire with a new, well balanced tire, and the problem was solved every time -without me having to buy any aftermarket braces...or lower the forks. I get around 10K miles outta each of the OEM Dunlop front tires I've always used. Anywhere from 1K - 2.5K outta each of the OEM Dunlop back tires I buy. Wouldn't want to guess how often I exceeded 130-140mph over the 27 years I've been riding my 85...just sayin'.

Latest posts

Back