Front end wobble

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torszula

Reaction score
I experience a serious wobble around 110mph on my 2005 VMAX. I had the front end looked at for problems but none were found. The dealer then told me that this was a common issue with these bikes and not to worry about it. I can't not worry about it so I'd rather find a solution. Is this really a problem with these bikes and if so, is there something that can resolve it?

Common problem but, usually it can be fixed.

Many factors can be the cause or a contributor to this issue. There are literally hundreds of threads here on the forum that discuss them.

Steering stem bearings are typically the cause. They could be damaged or just out of adjustment. Chances are, they may only need adjustment. Watch the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW-CmACI5xQ

If the bearings feel rough, they need replaced.

If the bearing adjustment doesn't do the trick, the next step would be tires. Both front and rear have been known to cause a wobble.

Swingarm bearings should be checked.

Wheel bearings should be checked.

Based on your other threads, it seems this bike may have been wrecked? If so, examine it closely. Maybe the frame has suffered some damage.

Just another fine example of how much the stealership sucks and are inferior to this Forum.
Idiots and thieves at the dealership service department if you ask me. There are probably a couple exceptions.
If your front tire is near the end of its life, that would be fix number two after the stem bearing adjustment/replacement. A fork brace is number three change. If going all out, the front forks can be totally rebuilt with superior aftermarket parts but it starts getting expensive.

Scary as hell! tightened my steering head bearings,And that fixed mine.Be careful testing out your repairs,Best of luck.

I had the "Vmax Wobble" when I first bought the bike. A friend of mine rode it....and said that I had "Death Wobble", and walked away from the bike. I found this forum, saw Sean's video....and haven't had a wobble since.

Each and every time my 85 has ever experienced some wobble, I fixed it be replacing a tire - always the back one for me. Always a run-out after some good old fashioned wear & tear on the rough streets.

Another thing which can cause a light wobble at speed is an attached windshield. I have that same issue with Woona. It seemes to be caused by turbulance off the windshield, in my case. Had it up to 120 without the windshield with no issues.

I finally took the bike up to 130 and then began to feel a bit of a wobble. Pretty solid up to that point so I dont think I will do anything about it for now.

Latest posts

Back