Front Exhaust Pipe Crush Washer Removal

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95spfldmax

Reaction score
So I have my 78,000 mile OEM exhaust pipes off my Gen 1 and need to get the crush washers off before putting on replacement pipes. Is there a particular trick to getting them out of the ports? Trying to not go too gorilla on them but they ARE IN THERE! Don't want to mar up any mating surfaces. Lubricants? A screw driver and a polite hammer with a little leverage doesn't seem to be making any progress. Suggestions??

A cotter pin puller usually works for me, but a stout screwdriver using the other side of the pipe opening as the fulcrum should work. Maybe a tap or two on the end of the screwdriver to penetrate under the lip of the gasket, if you don't have a good purchase to begin using leverage.

Yeah, I did the 90 deg pick thing. Didn't seem stout enough for the job. Like I said, they're baked in there pretty good. I'll take another shot at it next time I get back in the garage. Thanks for the tips guys.

Hey Mike,
Long time no see bro. Ya ever get the exhaust stuff straightened out? If so how'd ya finally get the washers out?

I finally got my "Mark's" pipes last year. :cool: (wait, actually it was 2017..jeez where the time go :confused: ). Mine came out pretty easy (once I "knew" WTF I was doing). Just went at it with a Pick ..and a Hammer (Gently). :eek: Then again, mine only had 32K miles on it.

I'm "hoping" to go through the carbs this year..finally..

T$

Latest posts

Back