Front fork dilemma

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Koos

Reaction score
Hello Guys en girls,

Can somebody tell me something about my front fork ?
Is it a real WP or just from another bike? ( anybody can put a sticker )
I cant find NOTHING on the internet about them.

What year are they?
How to revalve when needed?
How to adjust?
Manual etc etc?

There really No documentation.
Hope You Guys can point me in the right direction.

Attachments

• 28E6D59E-6A14-42D2-91A4-F932ED351995.jpeg
    28E6D59E-6A14-42D2-91A4-F932ED351995.jpeg
    338.2 KB · Views: 22
VMax USD fork.01 (2).jpg Definitely an USD fork. Not stock! You have a probably $2,000+ upgrade there. Around here you can probably buy a running bike for what someone spent on your upgrades (below). What is the front wheel size? It is cast-into the rim perimeter. What size tire? Getting a new custom wheel and the brake system, probably requiring another front brake master cyl will push the 'buy-in' right up-there. The wheel appears to have a center section like a stock wheel, so it may have a widened rim, which is a fabrication project in itself. $$$. Even the steering stem nut appears to be an aftermarket beefy piece. It may-have a full exhaust, it has at-least slip-ons. And that windowed clutch cover. Anything similar on the other side? Someone loved that bike.

You could put your city of residence into your screen name area, that helps members who are close to you to possibly assist you sometime. And, it gives the rest of us an idea of 'where's Waldo?'

What did you pay for the bike? How-many miles/km on it?

Sorry, I dunno whose fork/downtubes they are. Have you tried the WP site to compare? Yamaha R1 and Suzuki Hyabusa USD forks are popular replacements. Because of the shorter sportbike front ends, a 'gullwing' triple tree is used to get the proper fitment, when sportbike front ends are installed onto a VMax http://exactrep.com/acatalog/-OTEC--Stepped-CNC-Billet-Yolks-to-take-R1-Front-Forks-275H.html#SID=17 Current pricing 3/2020 $911.00
lowering the triple trees to keep necessary ground clearance. Longer tubes are another solution, but w/the axle bracket as an integral part of the downtube, that becomes harder to achieve, easily (it isn't easy!). Probably doing the added length in the upper tube is how it's done. The alternative is to buy a custom-length front end, which is probably a $3,000+ investment.
OTEC VMax gullwing triple trees.01.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks man!

usd i know
WP suspension ( formerly known as White power) has nothing on the site, they dont sell stuff like this anymore, only for newer bike and ktm etc.
cant find nothing on This on there site.
emailed them and they dont wanna help either. the only thing they say, go to your dealer.
and we don't have a dealer. ( for a Vmax that is. )

yeah lots of upgrades, that I know.
The wheels are custom made Deget, 18 in front ( 120 tire ), 17 in rear ( with a 180 tire )
They upgraded the brakes front and rear ( the bike is 92, one piston originally)
Looks like they have put a front disc in the back too.
Barnett clutch, no other covers on the other side.

Greetz Gordon ( the Netherlands )

Thanks man!

usd i know
WP suspension ( formerly known as White power) has nothing on the site, they dont sell stuff like this anymore, only for newer bike and ktm etc.
cant find nothing on This on there site.
emailed them and they dont wanna help either. the only thing they say, go to your dealer.
and we don't have a dealer. ( for a Vmax that is. )

yeah lots of upgrades, that I know.
The wheels are custom made Deget, 18 in front ( 120 tire ), 17 in rear ( with a 180 tire )
They upgraded the brakes front and rear ( the bike is 92, one piston originally)
Looks like they have put a front disc in the back too.
Barnett clutch, no other covers on the other side.

Greetz Gordon ( the Netherlands )

You might want to try to fabricate a rock shield for the tube above the axle, it might be hard to find a replacement.

'85-'92 was the period for a single-pair, opposed-piston caliper on the VMax, front rotor was 282 mm. '93-'07 was a two-pair, opposed-piston design using a larger front rotor pair.

I'd try continuing your internet search for the WP forks info. Getting ahold of an individual who rebuilds 'em is probably one way to get info on them. There probably are some casting numbers and other info on them. I suspect that the inner pieces are common among other applications, so having the upper and lower tubing/casting dimensions to be able to compare to other WP products of a similar timeframe may give you alternatives for replacement parts, if something broke, or the forks needed tuning for your riding weight.

Tube above the axle?

yeah I sure hope that I will get a reaction on the WP fork. amd I am keep looking myself afcourse.
there still in good condition, but i don't dare to adjust the things, because I don't know for sure what i am doing.
no manual.
Even not on the www.

Tube above the axle?

yeah I sure hope that I will get a reaction on the WP fork. amd I am keep looking myself afcourse.
there still in good condition, but i don't dare to adjust the things, because I don't know for sure what i am doing.
no manual.
Even not on the www.

Yes, in USD forks, it's the "up-tube," instead of the downtube.

Do they have screws in the top of the upper tube sliders? They probably are marked with a + on one side and a -- on the other side of the piece that the screw is in. Just count the number of detents to go to one side or the other, write it down, so you can return it to what the settings were before you change it. If they work well and they don't bottom, I dunno if you need to be changing them. However, I understand the desire to see what changes are available. Some forks have compression damping on one side and rebound damping in the opposite fork leg. Marzocchi forks had a model like that. The WP USD forks may be like that.

Thanks bro.

yes, comp and reb

Attachments

• 8F4D9DB4-43B4-403A-B27A-5A648EFAAF3B.jpeg
    8F4D9DB4-43B4-403A-B27A-5A648EFAAF3B.jpeg
    65.5 KB · Views: 12
  • F6045BD4-B2B0-489A-98FE-8D56B2E3E535.jpeg
    F6045BD4-B2B0-489A-98FE-8D56B2E3E535.jpeg
    57 KB · Views: 11
How does it ride for your weight and style of riding? If it's not bottoming, and it feels good in the corners, be happy with it as it is. It should be easy to rig a stone-deflector for the 'uptubes.'

How does it ride for your weight and style of riding? If it's not bottoming, and it feels good in the corners, be happy with it as it is. It should be easy to rig a stone-deflector for the 'uptubes.'

I think it rides ok, but I am not sure if it can be even better.
But I am happy haha

Back