Front fork wire tensioner!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northern Jim

Reaction score
Next question from me I'm afraid! On my '85 max the front for has what looks like a wire tensioner at the top of the front fork... Anyone know what this is for and how to remove it to get the front fork off?! :ummm:

Cheers,
James

I don't have an '85, rather an '06. But might the "wire tensioner" that you're referring to, be the air crossover between the fork stanchions? My '06 has individual valves on the top of each tube.

Thanks! It is the air crossover tube, realised when I managed to get the dust cap off! How do I remove it? I guess it's just a case of undoing the hex nuts on the inside edges of the fork?

Does welding it shut make a difference even without the spring upgrades? Sorry for all the daft questions, it's my first old bike and having begun to take everything apart to check it all I've realised that I don't know what half the stuff does!

Thanks for the rapid help!
James

It is only held on by friction and being trapped between the upper tripple and a locking wire under it. They can be on there pretty stiffly though. Both sides need to be removed at the same time (work each side up a little at a time).

Welding them will help but the springs will make a more noticeable difference. Look for our youtube video showing the assembly/dissasembly of the forks (though they are a later model version).

Many folks remove the crossover assembly, particularly after installing aftermarket springs (which should be your first suspension upgrade - the difference in handling is incredible!) The new springs stiffen up the forks so much that many consider the air option not needed anymore.
But what is the harm in leaving it, especially the older forks with the balancing system? Why Yamaha "upgraded" to individual valves is beyond me. A pain in the ass to get the pressure right, because of the small volume required in each fork, and equally difficult to balance side to side.
I installed Progressive springs years ago, and love the difference. But I also made up my own balancing system, complete with 0 - 20 psi gauge. It's true that the front suspension works well without air, but adding air stiffens the ride even more, making it great for long runs on smooth highways, AND as a control to limit fork diving.
You can eliminate the air system anytime, but why not try the option for awhile to begin with? Just my opinion.
Cheers!

I don't see where anyone mentioned how to remove this. First, unscrew the air balancing tube that goes between the fork tubes. It can just be loosened and not removed at this point. Take a block of wood like a 2x4 (is that a common description where you live?) place it below one side of the cast aluminium ring on one fork tube and strike the wood block with a sharp upward motion. It takes a decent whack. You'll see it slide upward a few MMs. Go to the other side and whack it upward. Go back and forth between the two a little at a time. If removing the assembly, you will have to loosen the upper triple tree pinch
bolts. I thread the air hole and set a tiny Allen head plug in there. Of course now is a good time to change fork oil, seals, or springs.

I recently repacked my steering head bearings on my '06. I took the time to change the fork oil and inspect things while I had it apart. Yamaha recommends 10 wt oil, I upped the ante to 15 (or was it 20?) I've also chosen to NOT run any air. A previous post says it's very difficult to balance the individual stanchions with such a low psi, I agree. I now find with the heavier weight that the Max rides smoother and dives less.
Next round when I pull the forks apart I'd like put aftermarket springs.

Many folks remove the crossover assembly, particularly after installing aftermarket springs (which should be your first suspension upgrade - the difference in handling is incredible!) The new springs stiffen up the forks so much that many consider the air option not needed anymore.
But what is the harm in leaving it, especially the older forks with the balancing system? Why Yamaha "upgraded" to individual valves is beyond me. A pain in the ass to get the pressure right, because of the small volume required in each fork, and equally difficult to balance side to side.
I installed Progressive springs years ago, and love the difference. But I also made up my own balancing system, complete with 0 - 20 psi gauge. It's true that the front suspension works well without air, but adding air stiffens the ride even more, making it great for long runs on smooth highways, AND as a control to limit fork diving.
You can eliminate the air system anytime, but why not try the option for awhile to begin with? Just my opinion.
Cheers!

Good info. Mileslong.

I use my bike pump, I pick up at the time for $18.00 of amazon.com 2 years ago

Attachments

• nashbar air pump.jpg
    nashbar air pump.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 13
Really useful stuff, thank you! Patmax was right about it needing a decent wack, only just got it off using the aforementioned 2x4 and a mallet!

As I took it off I could hear the air equalising as it escaped from the forks; if I do now put uprated springs and 15wt oil in (as I think I will), I guess I don't need any air but will still need to seal the 2 holes in the stanchions? If so I'll put a thread in it and a small allen bolt as mentioned.

I can also see why people don't put the cross flow pipe back on! If it's that hard to get the off I've no idea how you'd get the damn thing back on!

Cheers,
James

Really useful stuff, thank you! Patmax was right about it needing a decent wack, only just got it off using the aforementioned 2x4 and a mallet!

As I took it off I could hear the air equalising as it escaped from the forks; if I do now put uprated springs and 15wt oil in (as I think I will), I guess I don't need any air but will still need to seal the 2 holes in the stanchions? If so I'll put a thread in it and a small allen bolt as mentioned.

I can also see why people don't put the cross flow pipe back on! If it's that hard to get the off I've no idea how you'd get the damn thing back on!

Cheers,
James

It'll go back on easy as he!!. Simply put a tiny bit of lube on your forks before sliding them back together. (I don't even do that) Once they are off, the friction is gone, and I think you'll find they move pretty easy upon reassembly. I've never taken my 85's equalizer tube off when servicing the front end. I always remove it as a unit, and re-install it likewise (cause I'm lazy that way). I still maintain the 10W (tried thicker once and didn't like the ride), and also 10-12lbs in air pressure works well for me.

Another daft question I'm afraid.

I've got the front forks sat in the workshop but oil is leaking out of the holes where the air crossover sat. Is this normal (i.e. is the air/oil mix a free mix) or is there supposed to be a seal that separates them?

I'm about to use Seans video tutorial to take the forks apart - wish me luck!

James

Back