Front left signal not working?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vmaxnewfie

Reaction score
I figured the bulb was shot. Picked up a new bulb, the old one looks fine. I put new bulb in, but still no flasher:damn angry:. The running light works, and the rear left signal flashes fast just like if the front bulb was out. I recently installed a wind screen and had the forks removed, if that makes any difference. I don't even know where to begin to look for the problem. I don't know much about electrical, but I have a multimeter.

Turn signal problems often turn-out to be ground or continuity problems. The point in the wires where they connect to the disconnects often go-bad, sometimes only a couple of strands remain intact, not-enough to allow enough energy to power the filament. Or, the insulation allows the wire to look 'intact,' but the break is internal. Check the wires for continuity while flexing the wire, the audible setting is good for that on the multimeter.

I have also seen a bad ground to the bulb bayonet base affect the light, or the hot center fixture in the bakelite insulator may have a poor connection to its brass contact. All those things are pretty-easy to check, as you can totally-disassemble the stock lights to their component parts. Aftermarket ones, you're just gonna have to see how-far they come-apart. I would suggest removing the offending component as they are usually pretty-easy to remove, and you can inspect everything 'up-close.'

When I took the headlight off to unplug the signal light, one wire was already unplugged. Don't know how it happened. I checked the rest of the connections, and the running light wire was pretty loose too. Turned out to be an easy fix.:biglaugh:

Sometimes the bullet connectors female ends need a squeeze w/the pliers to have them make a good connection. Also, a narrow steel wire bristle brush in your dremel will clean-up a female connector w/just 1 or 2 passes thru it. You could use a jeweler's rattail file, but the dremel is a 10 second job. Use some dielectric grease when you reattach the connection.

I guess it was too easy of a fix. Now my headlight has a mind of its own. Today when bike was warming up, the headlight would not come on at all. No low or high beam. Went around the block, and high beam worked fine, but low beam comes on whenever it feels like it. After a 30 min ride, the low beam won't come on at all:damn angry:. I don't think it's the bulb because of coming on and off earlier. I'm guessing I have a bad connection behind the headlight. I hope it's as simple of a fix as last night.

There are a lot of connectors in the headlight shell. I would check each one for corrosion and tight fit. They sometimes become loose and cause intermittent failure.

Back