Front/rear wheel removal

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

auto2350

Reaction score
Back in Feb, I walked into a Yamaha showroom looking for parts for my bike and walked out a few hours later with a 15 VMAX. I just loved the look of this bike and couldn't resist the impulse! But now that I've blown my budget for the year I think I am going to have to do some of the work myself. My tires don't have much tread left after lighting them up at literally every stop and will be in need of replacement soon:biglaugh:. Is there a how to for the front and rear tires? Any special tools needed? Never changed a rear on a shaft so a little unsure. anymore to it other than brakes and axle? Will this rear stand work with this bike?

http://www.harborfreight.com/automo...rofile-rear-motorcycle-spool-stand-99701.html

Just my opinion but I wouldn't use a $40 jack on a $15, 000 bike. Read the reviews on the jack.

I'm not sure on the width of rear lift necessary, but you can probably find all the info you need on the star forum. It's specifically for the gen II bikes. http://www.starvmax.com/ I know there are multiple threads there specifically discussing stands.
One of ours is a Harris made rear stand....it came with Shala's 09. I think mine is an older T-Rex version. Of the two, the T-rex is more rigid by far, and easier to lift the bike. It has double rollers on each side where as the Harris stand has single wheels each side.

Here's her Harris brand rear lift:
Vmax family 011.jpg

Here's my (I believe) T-Rex brand:
Vmax family 013.jpg

I was just looking at the TRex stand. What is the difference between a front and a triple tree front stand?

I suppose a front stand lifts some part of the forks while a triple tree stand probably fits into the hole on the bottom of the triple tree stem to lift the bike.

I don't share blaxmax's trepidation over the HFT rear stand, it doesn't look any worse than any other generic stand and in my opinion is better than some. At least the lift U's are double-bolted and adjustable unlike some I've seen & own that you had to cold-set the width to meet your pick-up points. Buy it, try it, and if you think it's too-flimsy, or the range of lift/adjustment doesn't meet your needs, return it.

My friend who makes his living changing bike tires at a very busy local shop, uses a simple scissor jack to lever one side of the bike off the ground, he uses the bike's sidestand as a pivot point and places the scissor jack on the opposite side, usually at a footpeg lug on the frame. I've seen him use the technique for H-D dressers, Gold Wings, and I've never heard of him dropping a bike. He does use the bike on a bike lift, and the front wheel is in the chock, when he's changing the rear, and he uses a ratchet tie-down on a handlebar to tie the bike to the lift. He's a retired Yamaha factory mechanic and was working there when the VMax was released.

Use this one for the front and I think you would have all the security you need. Also HFT. $60 & don't forget your -20% coupon!

Here's a triple tree bike stand, the peg fits into the bottom triple tree stem hole. It also is a combo-stand, because w/different ends that plug-into the lower stand, it becomes a rear wheel bike stand. Look at the square tubing on the lower side rails.

Attachments

• bike stand.JPG
    bike stand.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
I was just looking at the TRex stand. What is the difference between a front and a triple tree front stand?
I had a few of the TRex and they are ok- the front grabs the front axle and the triple tree take a bolt going to a screw hole under the tree.

Back in Feb, I walked into a Yamaha showroom looking for parts for my bike and walked out a few hours later with a 15 VMAX. I just loved the look of this bike and couldn't resist the impulse! But now that I've blown my budget for the year I think I am going to have to do some of the work myself. My tires don't have much tread left after lighting them up at literally every stop and will be in need of replacement soon:biglaugh:. Is there a how to for the front and rear tires? Any special tools needed? Never changed a rear on a shaft so a little unsure. anymore to it other than brakes and axle? Will this rear stand work with this bike?

http://www.harborfreight.com/automo...rofile-rear-motorcycle-spool-stand-99701.html

Lmfao... Blaxmaxx has a really really good point. But on the flip side of that I started with a harbor freight motorcycle jack. I have a redline one as well. The harbor freight one given the cheapness of the jack has been used to do some amazing tasks lol. I use to use mine to jack up my Hyundai all the time, I even used it to lift the rear of a half ton to put in lift blocks. Maybe I'm lucky, but it's still kicking and still gets used. The redline is my favorite but I think maybe it's the color lol..jk

I've heard there is a nut and bolt method to making a tool for the the 24mm hex in the rear. Can someone share this method? also, what size is the front hex nut?

I made something similar to remove the front wheel from my USD forks. Photos attached.
I will admit, I am not much of a welder but, it works!

I did buy one of these tools later down the line: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hex-Axle-To...-wrench-adapter-motorcycle-tool-/401067013873

I used it to pull the swingarm off a Honda recon. It takes a large allen key that I didn't have. While torqueing on it, the tool broke! I bought it locally at cycle gear. The did an exchange with no questions.

Attachments

• 2011-02-10_15-11-40_332.jpg
    2011-02-10_15-11-40_332.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 2011-02-10_15-11-50_734.jpg
    2011-02-10_15-11-50_734.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 2011-02-10_15-12-55_429.jpg
    2011-02-10_15-12-55_429.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 31
Is the tool you got off ebay decent? I guess for $10 it's worth a chance, right?

Does anyone know what the swing arm width is? It seems like a lot of the adjustable rear stands are 12-15". Will this fit the Gen2 swing arm?

I put my bike on a rear stand, like a Harris and raise the front end. by putting a soft nylon sling under the handlebars and attaching the sling to a chainfall hoist suspended from the rafters in my garage.

Latest posts

Back