Front tire leaking around the bead 98

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reich

Reaction score
Front tire is slowly leaking around the bead. I was wondering if certain years have this problem? Since, mine is a 98 and has the black rims. Is this only happiness with the black rims? It's a new front tire. It has 1000 to 1500 miles. After reading in the wheels/tires section. It seems like pounding the tire with a rubber hammer will short term fix it. Good rebead and cleaning for the long term. Looks like I'll be rebeading and cleaning. Maybe, some bead seal?

To my knowledge....NO YEARS have had this issue.....so maybe a bit of corrosion on the wheel.

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

You could try bead seal. Are you sure the wheel is not bent? Id take it to a shop and have them inspect the wheel. I run extremely small tires on extremely wide rims and when it leaks from the bead either the wheel is bent OR someone tore the bead during installation. Sometimes with car wheels i have to inflate the tire with about 100lbs of air for the bead to seat. Its worth a try if you're 100% sure the wheel isn't bent just dont do 100 go like 50 or something.

i have the same problem. 02 silver wheels. ive had a slow leak with 3 different front tires. i cleaned the rim real good last time and it was ok for a while but started leaking again. i dropped it in water and found 2 leaks at the bead. i put a small bottle of slime in but it didnt work. seemed to slow the leak down a bit though. maybe it plugged one hole.

Slime doesn't work on bead leaks or sidewall leaks. It only works in the tread area due to the fact that it is a liquid sealer and collects in the lowest area of the tire.

Jack up the front end. Rig up a crude run out indicator. It can be as simple as a cement block next to the front wheel with a piece of cardboard or a pencil on the top. Spin the wheel and slowly move the "indicator" toward the wheel. You wont get a measurement on run out but, will be able to visually see if it is bent enough to worry about.

If the wheel is not bent, remove the tire, inspect bead and rim. Clean both and re-seat.

If you have a stock wheel its probably best to just replace. If you have a custom wheel it may be worthwhile to send to a place like this to have it straightened: http://www.framestraightsystem.com/MotorcycleWheelRepair.htm

I had a slow leakage problem with my front 2 years ago. I did the rubber mallet thing, and slowed the leaks considerably, but not alltogether.
So I let the air out, and broke the bead on each side, cleaning the rim at the same time. Then I applied bead seal.
Then I inflated the tire, and checked for leaks in a laundry tub filled with water. The rubber mallet took care of the minuscule leaks that remained.
In retrospect, I should have just taken it to a shop and insisted on a good rim cleaning when they reinstalled the tire. I would have saved myself a lot of work.
Sometimes I'm such a sucker for punishment:bang head:
Cheers!

The rim is definitely not bent. I'm pretty sure it just needs the the rim cleaned and reseated. It's going to give me the chance to repaint it anyways. I didn't get a chance for the repaint when I put a new tire on it.

I had a slow leakage problem with my front 2 years ago. I did the rubber mallet thing, and slowed the leaks considerably, but not alltogether.
So I let the air out, and broke the bead on each side, cleaning the rim at the same time. Then I applied bead seal.
Then I inflated the tire, and checked for leaks in a laundry tub filled with water. The rubber mallet took care of the minuscule leaks that remained.
In retrospect, I should have just taken it to a shop and insisted on a good rim cleaning when they reinstalled the tire. I would have saved myself a lot of work.
Sometimes I'm such a sucker for punishment:bang head:
Cheers!
I believe it's because you want to know what the problem is yourself.

It does not take much bead residue from an old tire or debris part into the lip to cause a leak.

Polished the bead sealing area when I polished my wheels. I blow them up to 80 psi after I seat the beads.Then wet check. A leaking tire almost put me on the road last summer. Can't have it.

Latest posts

Back