front tire (radial question)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmaxrooky

Reaction score
So the stock tire size is 110/90/18=25.79" can you get a radial tire that size? 2nd question will a 120/70/18=24.61" fit with no modifications? 3rd I ordered the progressive lowering spring kit and the guy I spoke to said he recommends lowering it 1.5" and then lower the forks another 3/4" so if I put the 120/70/18 tire on should I just lower the springs a 1" and the tire height will do for the rest? Would rather have the performance of a radial tire up front if I can do so..Can't really afford a set of $2000 rims right now and don't get the size is the same on the cardozzia rims i get the weight dif yes but the rim is a 18" same as stock:bang head: if it were a 17" I would get that much better:eusa_dance:.. but its the same as stock?:bang head:

All i can say is the 120 radial will look funny. The tire gets too squeezed and ends up providing a very small contact patch.
I will switch to a 110 asap.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I ran a 120 radial on the stock front Wheel with no issues. Admittedly the wheel is technically to narrow for that width and sidewalk height but never cause me any issues. But it's not recommended.

So the stock tire size is 110/90/18=25.79" can you get a radial tire that size? 2nd question will a 120/70/18=24.61" fit with no modifications? 3rd I ordered the progressive lowering spring kit and the guy I spoke to said he recommends lowering it 1.5" and then lower the forks another 3/4" so if I put the 120/70/18 tire on should I just lower the springs a 1" and the tire height will do for the rest? Would rather have the performance of a radial tire up front if I can do so..Can't really afford a set of $2000 rims right now and don't get the size is the same on the cardozzia rims i get the weight dif yes but the rim is a 18" same as stock:bang head: if it were a 17" I would get that much better:eusa_dance:.. but its the same as stock?:bang head:

FYI:
http://members.chello.nl/c.cornwall/Banden/Banden.htm

Yes, there are radials that size.
Do you run a radial in the back?....If not, you shouldn't mix and match.
2 1/2 inches is a lot of lowering...you'll be rubbing something if you really like to corner.
Technically I think with the progressive kit, you can go stock height, -1, or -2.....1 1/2 your cutting something.

Good Luck.

This is from the Avon Site:
TIRES: RADIAL VERSUS BIAS
While running a bias ply front tire and a radial rear tire can be acceptable in certain applications, you should never run radial front and bias rear as this can create an instability issue.

http://www.avonmoto.com/tech/warranty

I personally always just put a Quality Sport Touring BIAS Front tires on my Max.
I'm currently running a Battlax BT-45V front and my last front was a Metzeler Lasetec both work well when riding the Twisties.
About as well as anything can on a VMax in the Twisties that is.
The VMax is definitely Not a Sport bike but I do like to run a bit hot through the twisties.

Thanks for for that info chart detoebert531 the michelin macadam can't find one I think they replaced them with the michelin commander?

You can get a matching set with the metzeler roadtec and michelin power road if I remember well.
Those are really good, but I might forget some other options.

I ran a 120 radial on the stock front Wheel with no issues. Admittedly the wheel is technically to narrow for that width and sidewalk height but never cause me any issues. But it's not recommended.

I remember that Rusty. On my end, I ended up with the same observation than Garrett about the 120.
At the end, I still ride with it but I already experienced the issues of having a narrow contact patch with the 120 roadtec.

85vmax progressive sells 2 kits 1 stock spring$99 and the 2nd kit says lowing kit$118? I think the Vmax needs to be lowered in the front at least 1inch? Feels a lil to light on the front end for me at least? The tech sheets i have seen here seem to say the same also? I was asking if that guys idea about lowering 1.5" in the fork springs and 3/4" on the triple tree was a lil outrageous? I think thats a lil to far myself... I think a 1" will be good all around when I'm ridin solo.. think that will also be good in the twisties to get more weight one the front tire when cornering..

85vmax progressive sells 2 kits 1 stock spring$99 and the 2nd kit says lowing kit$118? I think the Vmax needs to be lowered in the front at least 1inch? Feels a lil to light on the front end for me at least? The tech sheets i have seen here seem to say the same also? I was asking if that guys idea about lowering 1.5" in the fork springs and 3/4" on the triple tree was a lil outrageous? I think thats a lil to far myself... I think a 1" will be good all around when I'm ridin solo.. think that will also be good in the twisties to get more weight one the front tire when cornering..
Lowering the Front 1" definitely improves the Cornering ability.
I had mine Lowered (raised in the Triple Trees) 1" until I put on a Radiator Cover and had to drop it back to 3/4" so it wouldn't hit on Hard Braking/Cornering, but even 3/4" still helps.
Anything over 1" just seems too low for me, I tried with the frnt lowered 2" once for a few days and it just didn't feel right.
I bought the Stock length Progressive Springs but I'm also 6'1" and I was already used to the Forks being 1" up in the triple tree at that point and didn't want to change what I was used to.

Lowering the Front 1" definitely improves the Cornering ability.
I had mine Lowered (raised in the Triple Trees) 1" until I put on a Radiator Cover and had to drop it back to 3/4" so it wouldn't hit on Hard Braking/Cornering, but even 3/4" still helps.
Anything over 1" just seems too low for me, I tried with the frnt lowered 2" once for a few days and it just didn't feel right.
I bought the Stock length Progressive Springs but I'm also 6'1" and I was already used to the Forks being 1" up in the triple tree at that point and didn't want to change what I was used to.

Ya think thats what I'm aiming for thought 1.5" in the springs and 3/4" in the triple tree was a lil low...think I'll just run with the 1" lowering in the front progressive spring...:eusa_dance:

I just found a 110/80-18 radial tire you guys think that would work?

That is what I have on my Max. It is only slightly taller than the 120/70. (About 3/10th of an inch). The stock rim is not rated for a 120 tire but many have done it anyway. I wish a stock size radial was available but have never seen one in all the years I've owned a Max.

My rear tire is a 170/60-18 and is slightly taller than stock. (About 4/10th of an inch). Had to do the washer swap to keep from rubbing the swing arm. A 160/60-18 is almost the exact same size as stock and is more readily available. Washer swap probably not needed with that size.

I lowered the forks in the triple tree about 3/4". I am not comfortable lowering any lower than that even though I am really short!! :biglaugh: I already scrape the case guards when riding "briskly". Handling is a little quicker but in no way twitchy. Just my 2 cents. :biglaugh:

Should we tell the rookie about

(open attachment)

:ummm:

The front wheel width is already too-narrow for a radial, though many people here run a 110 radial on the front (I am one of them). The issue is that you won't realize the optimal wheel width/tire combination to make the tire conform to its intended design from using a narrow rim. Running a wider tire than 110 on the stock front rim will just worsen this characteristic. Of course, you need to run F & R tires of the same construction, as two radial or two bias-ply. They should be from the same manufacturer and should be compatible according to the manufacturer's recommendation.

Attachments

• dark1.doc
    109 KB · Views: 39
yes kinda believe that you should run either bias or radial on front and rear reserching that right now... But the same manufacture don't think so. I ran Michelin pro race on the front of my 929 and whatever sport/street tire that was on sale bridgestone BT016,dunlop Q2, michelin pro power in the rear all great tires never one issue with mixing manufactures...Most of the tires made for VMAX stock wheels have a front and don't have the rear or vesa versa so how can you expect to run the same good sport tire from the same manufacture on the VMAX stock set-up you can't.. unless you spend $2000-$3000 on aftermarket wheels. Jack Daniels whiskey is good Coke is good together they are GREAT... right? Mixing manufactures is fine IF (you get close to the same tire) you should be smarter than putting a cruiser milage tire on one end and a sport tire on the other... front sport tire from Michelin and a rear sport tire from dunlop is fine both bias or both radial....My 2 cents from my experience....

That worked for you on that bike w/one combo, good for you. Ask a tire engineer and they will recommend against mixing among their own tires, much-less another manufacturer's. There are different types of radial construction for-instance, and having tried to 'mix & match' on a OEM radial tire-equipped 1000 cc sportbike, I am gonna tell you, you can really louse-up your handling by mixing manufacturers. Even when you think you are buying 'comparables,' you may make a bad mistake. I was so-unhappy w/my choice, once, I took the front off long-before it was worn-out, and matched the rear. If you go to a dealer and try to do that, many won't mount your choice. Liability.

yes kinda believe that you should run either bias or radial on front and rear reserching that right now... But the same manufacture don't think so. I ran Michelin pro race on the front of my 929 and whatever sport/street tire that was on sale bridgestone BT016,dunlop Q2, michelin pro power in the rear all great tires never one issue with mixing manufactures...Most of the tires made for VMAX stock wheels have a front and don't have the rear or vesa versa so how can you expect to run the same good sport tire from the same manufacture on the VMAX stock set-up you can't.. unless you spend $2000-$3000 on aftermarket wheels. Jack Daniels whiskey is good Coke is good together they are GREAT... right? Mixing manufactures is fine IF (you get close to the same tire) you should be smarter than putting a cruiser milage tire on one end and a sport tire on the other... front sport tire from Michelin and a rear sport tire from dunlop is fine both bias or both radial....My 2 cents from my experience....

Latest posts

Back