Front Tire Selection

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ukemax

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had posted about my expierence with front end wobble and Shinko's. I'm going to try swapping out the front with something else. The rear has barely 500 miles on it so going to try and get a little more life oout of it. I read through a bunch of threads about front tires, with a "TON" of different opinions. I like the feeling of the Shinko's but I'm pretty sure the wobble is due to the tire (read more than one preson having issues with it). So out of all the Gen 2 front tire options, which is the softest and would work well with the rear Shinko. I'm leaning towrads the Battleax or the Avon.

Never had any issues with Shinkos at all. Been using them on my 2009 VMAX, FJR and 1st Gen VMax. Personally, I found the BattleAxe tires wore out very quickly. I would be checking headstock bearings, tire air pressure, wheels and your brakes.

Unfortunately, it was the Shinko. Put on a Battle Ax, problem gone.
I had one pair of Shinkos with no issues, but after this I'm soured on them. Looks like a 50/50 chance you get a good tire. I'll spend the extra and get a quality tire, lesson learned.

My first time chiming in, but I too recently installed the shinkos and I have the front tire wobble. More noticeable around 45 and 55-60. It’s not major but it is there and shakes the handle bars back and forth. The back tire seems to be ok and they stick very well. I guess I need to check the warranty and maybe replace the front again.

The OEM spec. In my short ride seemed just fine. I had the exact same wobble at the same speeds as you. Disappointing to have a new tire be so bad from 0 miles. I figure once the weather breaks I'll burn off the rear and replace. Don't really want to run mismatched tires.

Ukemax, which battle ax did you go with? Does it feel like it matches well with the rear shinko?

I am running a Shinko rear and a Dunlop front(which Dunlop, I dont know as I dont have the bike with me at the moment). I had the same issues as Ukemax. Tire vibrations at certain speeds. Junk Shinko tires and I had 2 in a row that were bad. As for the mismatch, first, let me say that our riding styles are different. So my experience wont be yours. I am also a moose on my bike at 6'tall 210lbs. So the weight will be different too. For me, I notice no riding differences between the tires in normal everyday about town riding. I do maintain speeds of 75-100mph due to my state interstates and lack of law enforcement. I will punch off the line and accelerate to warp speed(as god intended for this beast). Now I do not track the bike nor corner what I consider aggressively. So I cannot say how the tires handle in these situations. But if you are riding for the sake of riding, while it may not be ideal.....you will be OK in riding mismatched tires.

I'm running a Shinko 011 in the rear and a Battlax on the front, a fantastic setup for me.

I bought the Shinko's for the front and the back but the front tire was crap and bounced all over the place from about 40+.

Latest posts

Back