Front tire tread wears very strange

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khuenefeldt

Reaction score
My front tire's wear seems very strange. I'm sure it's the stock tire...it's a Bridgestone. The bike has 7,000 miles on it..and i just got it. The front tire has some life left in it, but it's about time to replace it; however the tread seems strange. The tire has "hills" going across the tread. If you run your hand down it...it feels like a hilly road. It all seems very consistent and along with the tread. I'm kind of curious what the deal may be tho.

Regardless, I plan to change it soon. The guy before me had just put a Michilin Macadam 50 on the rear. It seems ok...but i really liked the avon venom x i put on my vs800 last year. I figure this time around i'll put a matching michilin macadam 50 on the front.....Are these good tires? Bad tires? Anyone have any experience with them?

Hi KH,
I use the Marathon 880 front and rear. Probably best to use matching front and read biastires on the stock size rims. That wear pattern may be caused by underinflation.

Any handeling problems with that wornout tire?????

Lew

lol...only when the front tire is on the pavement.....i'm only 160lbs...it seems to come up pretty easy!

The tire has "hills" going across the tread. If you run your hand down it...it feels like a hilly road. ?

Low tire pressure or uneven fork air pressure will also cause that problem.
I put a balance tube and pressure guage on mine so that the forks even themselfs out. I had a CBX that did the same thing. Couldn`t keep the pressure consistent in the two forks. Put the balance pipe on and problem solved.

That funny, bumpy wear is called 'cupping' or 'scalloping' and is very common on motorcycle tires. Usually the front tire on a bike needs to be replaced well before the tread wears out.

That funny, bumpy wear is called 'cupping' or 'scalloping' and is very common on motorcycle tires. Usually the front tire on a bike needs to be replaced well before the tread wears out.

Very true and very little you can do about it. Even with the best setup possible on any M/C I've had the front starts acting stupid long before it's worn out.

That's not to say there is not some contributing cause that could be adressed to lessen the problem...

Could somebody please tell me the best tire pressure to run front and back. I am new here and just bought an 01 with new 880's front and rear. Currently running 40 rear and 36 front. Thanks.

Could somebody please tell me the best tire pressure to run front and back. I am new here and just bought an 01 with new 880's front and rear. Currently running 40 rear and 36 front. Thanks.

Going with stock recommendations is always a good start, but weight also contributes to the settings. More weight=more rear pressure.

BUMP for the underinflation thing. That's what I found to be the problem on mine when I first bought it. The thing was pretty jittery in the corners as a result of the cupping. New rubber made it handle so much better.
:clapping:

The bridgstone on my 06 did the same cupping and feathering. I got 12,000 miles out of it before I decided to pitch it and went with a stock dunlop instead.
I kept the tire pressure at what the manual recommended. But I never thought to check the fork pressure.
Well you know what I'll be doing tonight when I get home.
What's a good pressure to keep stock front fork pressure at? Keep in mind I only weigh 130 lbs soaking wet with all my gear on!

This is SO normal though...

My SV1000S has all the preload out on the Race-Tech sprung forks and after 4000 miles it had cupping too.

I replace front and rear at the same time. The rear was showing belts and that's with no burnouts...:thumbs up:

Your best bet with the forks is to respring them and not use the air fittings at all!:thumbs up:

4-8lbs probably. Check the manual.

The bridgstone on my 06 did the same cupping and feathering. I got 12,000 miles out of it before I decided to pitch it and went with a stock dunlop instead.
I kept the tire pressure at what the manual recommended. But I never thought to check the fork pressure.
Well you know what I'll be doing tonight when I get home.
What's a good pressure to keep stock front fork pressure at? Keep in mind I only weigh 130 lbs soaking wet with all my gear on!

Wow,Robert! It seems like almost yesterday that you bought that bike.!2,000 miles already.Thats really good that you have stayed safe on your first bike.Keep up the good work!

Wow,Robert! It seems like almost yesterday that you bought that bike.!2,000 miles already.Thats really good that you have stayed safe on your first bike.Keep up the good work!

......and only weighing in at 130 lbs, I bet he's flyin' up and down those roads!!!

:rocket bike:

Yeah I am so addicted to riding, boss is started to get annoyed with me being late from taking the long way to work all the time. And I can never seem to find anyplace close to work that I want to eat lunch at. LOL!
It's still stock except for the seat and shift light. But that will change soon (knock on wood), the truck is about up to par so it's back to spending money on The Baby. Next up... Drag Bars and frame braces... and something to hold my skinny lil but on the seat at take off. LOL!

The truck is about up to par so it's back to spending money on The Baby. LOL!

Why?? Did it become a Ford... :rofl_200: :rofl_200: :whistlin:

I will tell you to stop now on the Max... Their nothing but trouble...:bang head:

Why?? Did it become a Ford... :rofl_200: :rofl_200: :whistlin:

I will tell you to stop now on the Max... Their nothing but trouble...:bang head:

You are too funny 4gasem!

The previous owner of the Chevy I bought really neglected it. Even so, the blue book on it is 11,000 and I only paid 8,000 for it. And so far, with new tires I've spent 1200.
So even if I spend another 800, which is 10 times more than what I need to spend, I make out in the long run.
I will rebuild an old rusty Chevy before driving a new Ford!

You are too funny 4gasem!

The previous owner of the Chevy I bought really neglected it. Even so, the blue book on it is 11,000 and I only paid 8,000 for it. And so far, with new tires I've spent 1200.
So even if I spend another 800, which is 10 times more than what I need to spend, I make out in the long run.
I will rebuild an old rusty Chevy before driving a new Ford!

LOL! I just helped 4WARND put new brakes on a 2000 1500 he bought for 4000 dollars...:whistlin: It has 180,000 miles on it but is fully loaded with leather and all!
Paint is VERY clean too...

It's still only a Chevy...

After owning several GM vehicles and several Ford vehicles I have come to realize that Ford some how makes the interior not squeak and rattle where I believe GM adds squeaks and rattles...:confused2:

I am an interior guy... I like them quiet...:thumbs up:

Back