• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

FS: '89 Vmax -SOLD-

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Streetfighterkz

Reaction score
I found another bike I want and wife says I can't keep everything so the Vmax has to go to make room.

Details:
1989 Yamaha Vmax
~46,000miles (can get exact if needed)
Kerker 4-2-1 with 2" baffle (sounds like a NASCAR at WFO)
Factory windscreen
Factory backrest (plasti-dipped black)
Factory luggage rack
Factory crash bars
Autometer shift light with 9,200rpm pill
Progressive Suspension fork springs with 1" lowering kit.
Older Corbin seat
Shinko tires F/R replaced ~2000 miles ago
Universal Power Group sealed battery
Zx10 Mosfet R/R
Hayabusa 6-piston calipers with R1 front rotors
Venture rear diff
K&N drop-in air filter
Cbr1000RR LED taillight

The bike runs incredibly strong! NO 2nd gear issues. It's not a looker but never bothered me too much.

It could use a valve adjust, oil change and possibly new plugs. Both valve covers weep oil (have brand new OEM gaskets), middle drive area also weeps oil (replaced outer gasket but still leaks) and the Venture diff weeps oil (have brand new OEM diff seals).

Asking $2500 as it sits. Will discount price if the stock Vmax diff is installed and if the front brakes are returned to stock.

Also have a +3" braced swingarm and converted 900RR 17" rear wheel for extra $$.

IMG_7606.jpg

Located at zip 63303.

Later, Doug

Re: FS: '89 Vmax

I don't know if you have the OEM parts, but you should put 'em back on & sell the aftermarket parts on here or ebay to maximize your $. You probably have >$1K in extras, especially if you count the rear CBR wheel & swingarm. That would allow you to sell the bike for less, and I think with reasonable pricing the aftermarket stuff would go quickly. The market for used bikes seems to be soft most places (especially bad for the H-D boys), and the summer is almost over.

I don't know if you have the OEM parts, but you should put 'em back on & sell the aftermarket parts on here or ebay to maximize your $. You probably have >$1K in extras, especially if you count the rear CBR wheel & swingarm. That would allow you to sell the bike for less, and I think with reasonable pricing the aftermarket stuff would go quickly. The market for used bikes seems to be soft most places (especially bad for the H-D boys), and the summer is almost over.

Very good advice!

With the miles you have on it, it's probably a ~$2000 bike, in stock shape. So your asking price isn't far-off, but if you have the stock stuff, putting it back to stock really isn't going to change its worth, but selling those aftermarket parts will greatly increase the $ in your pocket. You could probably part it out for more-than $2000 with the OEM parts on it. You probably don't want to spend the time to do that, but I believe that may be your best move, or remove the aftermarket stuff, replaced w/OEM, and advertise it for $2100. Cash talks, get $1900-2000, and sell your take-off parts. No sitting on a partially dismantled bike, and you have a couple grand for the next bike.

Thanks for the advice guys. Only stock parts I have are the front brake system and original differential.

I know I could most likely get more through parting it out but need the cash sooner and I know you always have parts left over that no one wants.

I'm willing to entertain offers on the bike along with the swingarm and 17" rear rim.

Later, Doug

A venture dif? First I have heard of that. What are the benefits of having that? Nice looking bike btw!! To bad the wife won't let ya keep it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A venture dif? First I have heard of that. What are the benefits of having that? Nice looking bike btw!! To bad the wife won't let ya keep it.

Because the gearing is different......you get an rpm drop. This is useful at highway speeds......but......you do lose some get up and go as well.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Swingarm
IMG_8411.jpg

IMG_8412.jpg

IMG_8413.jpg

Wheel
IMG_8407.jpg

IMG_8408.jpg

IMG_8409.jpg

IMG_8410.jpg

I have someone interested in the swingarm but no commitment and a pending sale on the wheel.

No offers on the bike itself.

Later, Doug

Because the gearing is different......you get an rpm drop. This is useful at highway speeds......but......you do lose some get up and go as well.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

What year dif does it have to be? I run high rpms anyhow, we all have plenty of hp to spare lol. I'd be very interested in that mod. The get up n go still has to be pretty good though I'd think. Shredding tires sure is fun, but it'd be nice to try that dif.

Picked up the other bike so this has to go for room and to replenish savings. Make an offer and see if it sticks.

Later, Doug

Took a few pictures today before I ran out of sunlight.

IMG_8437.jpg

IMG_8438.jpg

IMG_8439.jpg

IMG_8440.jpg

https://s26.postimg.org/z8ha7clih/IMG_8441.jpg[img]
[img]https://s26.postimg.org/552rfei95/IMG_8442.jpg

Later, Doug

Thanks sdt354.

Later, Doug

Ps. Can a mod fix my image link that isn't showing since I can't edit the post myself?

Latest posts

Back