Fuel Additives? Do You?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also tried seafoam in my 85' Vmax and it appeared to help a bit, but at the cost of needing to add it every tank-full and it doesn't have any cleaning or maintenance value to it.

After reading an article about "fuel additives" in one of last years Vboost magazines, in which the author highly recommended BG's Supercharge II (BG #202), so I called BG Products to check it out.

After consulting with the local tech rep at BG Products Houston, they recommended these two fuel additives for the Vmax:

BG 202 (must add every tank-full)

or

BG #203 (add every 3500 miles) (same series, at a higher concentration)

I've been using the BG #203 for over 1 1/2 years now, in both 85' and my 2000' Vmax and I've got to tell you it has been very beneficial to both me and the Max. For well over a year now, i've not had to tear into the carbs at all, nor had any clogging issues that required the infamous "pea shooter" carb cleaning.

BG Products CF5 #203 gets my "wallet vote" :clapping:

PS; I was able to buy direct from our local BG Products office here in Houston. The 203 was only $7.00 for an 11oz. can. You can also get a graduated bottle too.

Good luck,

BrianK-5125
Houston

You mean the article written by a BG employee?

Yeah... Nothing like pushing your own products.

All I know is the Seafoam and Techron has worked in the max. IMO it's probably water in the fuel causing the issues which both of them are good at getting rid of.

I'll run the StarTron. It's easier to find locally as well. BG is only sold in the internet or BG dealers.

1-Nitropropane is the best 'additive' for shear performance vmax friends. Klutz racing sells it already mixed with toluene in a 50 50 blend. it is nitrous in a can, believe me. and they mean it when they say follow the directions.

Neat idea but NO good for a daily driver bike or car. The warning at the bottom says all...

Oh and their test motor was built here in my town.

Pretty cool!

Chris

I have Fitch catalyst pod in the tank of my Max. I will vouch for the claim that it keeps fuel fresh, sat all winter(no stabilizer) and fired right up in the spring like it was just run yesterday. Zero "old gas" smell from the tank. When you first drop the pod into gas in a clear bottle, you'll notice very small bubbes start to form, and slowly "fizz" off the elemets, so it's doing something. They claim it's "restoring" the gas to it's original refinery-fresh state. I got it at a bike show for like half price, and figured it couldn't hurt anything. It also supposedly lasts virtually forever, so it's a drop-in and forget kind of deal.

As for their claims of better mileage and more HP? Ehhhh, I doubt it. If so, it's so insignificant you'll never notice.

OK all, I put the Starbrites Startron ethanol fuel treatment to the test... BIG TIME!

I haven't ridden my bike in 3 months or so. It sat with almost no fuel in it. (sooo not normal for me) and it had ethanol fuel in it as well.

It started with NO issues and not once in the 40 miles I rode it yesterday, did it have an issue.

As stated above by me, it ALWAYS acts up with ethanol fuel after sitting. This year has been the wettest I can remember so I am VERY impressed with the results and HIGHLY recommend it.

Chris

Chris, m-cman turned me on to Startron, and yesterday I started using it in my Gen1. It will be interesting, over time, to see how the bike does with it. I don't think any of my bikes sit more than a week or so, over the winter, so not much opportunity to give the stuff a suitable test.

If it does as advertised and eat varnish, it will be interesting, I guess, to see what the carbs look like when they finally do get cracked open.

Re: Fuel Additives? Do You?/Only for Storage

I have a constant tempersture garage. EVERY spring after the introduction of Ethanol the grounds equipment would start for a few second/burn the fuel in the carb & die. Even the chainsaw & weedeater (2 strokes) They'd run fine all summer after I clean out the carbs in the spring. Running them dry didn't help either... Float valves always seemed to stick. Was at the John Deere Dealer & the Kohler factory rep was there & the subject came up. The rep said they find Seafoam seems to work the best cleaning up Ethanol Storage related issues & as a stabalizer over the winter. Theory is Ethanol/corn is an orgasnic substance and ferments.grows over the winter gumming things up while in storage. Seafoam seems to stop the process & clean up Ethanol related issues well. Ever since in the fall I dose every fuel tank per the can instructions, run the engine to get the Seafoam into the carb & I've not had to clean a carb since/everything starts fine. Unless somethings wrong I never add any over the summer routinely/just for storage...My problems they tell me were compounded by my garage is heated.... I just bought a farm tractor that had sat all summer ( I wanna run a Yorke Rake over the looooong driveway with it ) & the seller was embarrassed that it started, ran a few seconds till the gas in the carb ran out & died. If that tractor sat overnight the carb would slowly refill & she'd start again for a few seconds. Put a generous dose of Seafoam in at the place of purchase & trailered her home/sloshed the gas around in the tank pretty good. For 3 days after it rolled off the trailer it would start, run 15-20 seconds & quit. 4th day it's been running like a top since.. I LOVE Seafoam...& they say theres no such thing as a mechanic in a can... Sometimes.......

Regular Seafoam user for years. Work great great but since I've used it for soo long I don't have any bad experiences to compare to. Just a couple of ounces every two or three tankfulls.
Lew

all the magna guys praise seafoam also.\

bike idleing rough? seafoam
bike wont start? seafoam
bike pops on decel? seafoam
bike running lean? seafoam
storage? seafoam
not running right? seafoam
flat tire?.... seafoam

Back