Fuel coming out tube on top of carb?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny Glenn

Reaction score
Thanks for looking in AGAIN -- I've been fighting a rusted tank, carbs gone bad etc. Sealed tank and did Shotgun method. Tried to fire her up and fuel is coming out of (vent tube?) on top of carb that leads to topside of airbox. That particular carb gave me trouble in that the idle screw was partially stripped and was not sure if I moved it but did completely strip it in the process - it seemed stuck:bang head:. I did shoot some carb cleaner in the ports etc and had to leave that idle screw in and hoped for the best?! Why would fuel come out the top hose? What should I do?

Johnny Glenn,
sounds like the float needle is stuck open on that carb. Most likely something's (piece of rust? ) keeping it from sealing properly when it's suppose to be closed. If you haven't been into your carbs yet, this would be a good time to do it !

Something to try....open the drain on that one carb, let the fuel drain, then turn ingnition switch on and let the pump flush some fuel thru the carb while the float is at its lowest point and the needle is wide open. Hopefully it will wash some of that micro stuff from needle and seat assy. If that doesn't work remove the outlet fuel line from fuel pump and open the drain valve on that one carb again......spray enough carb cleaner thru line until it runs out of carb. You must remember carb cleaner will remove paint so try to keep it off painted parts.

Big +1 to what Alorio1@bellsouth recommends.
Johnny Glenn - Let us know if this worked for you . Hope it does so you don't have to tear into the carbs ! Good Luck !

Put a cup or jar under the drain hose for the carb you are draining. It's the black hose that sticks out the side under the carb. The drain screw is on the right side of each carb as you are facing them. Medium Phillips Head. If you do find some tiny dark particles in the fuel that you drain, Turn the ignition on and let it pump some more into the cup or jar. This may flush it all out. Even so, you may need to ride and repeat the process several times to get it all... Good Luck.

New Fuel Filter if you haven't already....

Thanks everyone - I'll give all these a try and hopefully will report back w/ some good news. No-one mentioned that the idle screw could be the problem so I feel alot better already!

No luck -- tried both suggestions several times and still fuel pouring out (vent? hose). Took off carb cover and airbox and sprayed cleaner in ports and that w/ no luck either. Thinking of re-trying "Shotgun" w/ that carb or maybe "peashooter". Could that help?...or anything else to try? Thanks again for any advice!

I decided to re-load the "Shotgun" and that did the trick. Thanks again for the help on that one -- I'm going to put everything back together and hope she runs and sounds like you used to -- I'm sure I'll be back soon needing some help?! Not tryng to think negatively but realistically!

Re: Fuel coming out tube on top of crab?

Are you running something in your fuel to counteract the 10% Ethanol that you're probably using? The Ethanol will break all kinds of stuff loose and can cause further rust because it suspends water. That will cause further trouble. I have access to Non Ethanol so it's not a problem for me now but it was before I realized what they were putting in our gas.. I still run Sea Foam, but I think the general consensus is that BG Products are much better with Ethanol.

I've recently learned of this Ethanol BS and could be the reason the bike began to have trouble over the last few years. I do run 93 which I think is Ethanol free but I'm going to find ethanol free gas for sure in my area for all my vehicles and equipment. Can't believe how stupid our government was/is pursuing this "alternative" fuel which is costing us more $$ from food prices to repairs!!

For me to help combat the problem of the Ethanol / water issue, I try very hard to keep my tank full at all times, to eliminate extra air space and slow down any rusting. Especially if the bike is going to sit for a few weeks.

Back