Fuel issues

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KDIMD

Reaction score
Ok, still trying to sort out the carb or fuel pump issue. When I turn the ignition on, the fuel pump clicks and primes and fills the fuel bowl in the carb. Bike starts and runs well until the fuel bowl is empty. The fuel pump does not send fuel to carb while motor is running. After bike dies, can turn the key on and off again and fuel pump will send fuel back to carb.

What gives?

had the same issue, my solution, replace pump and sending unit in the tank, when I pulled the unit out of the tank, there was corrosion all over the cylindrical part. No more clicking when you turn it on.

Last edited:
If it's the sender, it should keep running with the reserve switch in the RES position.

I changed the sender unit in the tank when I put in a new tank. The fuel pump I replaced 2 or 3 years back but with a ebay copy. Is there a pressure sensor on the fuel pump? Sean, what is a "fuel bulb"?

I'd say a fuel bulb is how you prime an external outboard motor gas tank. The football-looking bladder in the middle of the gas line, I believe it's usually referred-to as a 'fuel-priming bulb.'

Did you see that phrase in the fiche ('fuel bulb"?)

I'd say a fuel bulb is how you prime an external outboard motor gas tank. The football-looking bladder in the middle of the gas line, I believe it's usually referred-to as a 'fuel-priming bulb.'

Did you see that phrase in the fiche ('fuel bulb"?)

Just responding to Sean's comment above. I didnt know the VMax had a fuel bulb.

Just responding to Sean's comment above. I didnt know the VMax had a fuel bulb.

I think he means the low fuel light bulb may be blown, if I'm not mistaken it's part of the fuel pump system, light comes on it cuts power to the pump. In reserve mode it overrides the shut down, and keeps the pump running.

I think he means the low fuel light bulb may be blown, if I'm not mistaken it's part of the fuel pump system, light comes on it cuts power to the pump. In reserve mode it overrides the shut down, and keeps the pump running.

Ok, I understand. The low fuel light (red) did come on during my last ride and I pumped 13 liters of gas so it seems accurate enough. I can't remember if the light goes on when I turn on the ignition, will check tonight.

If the bulb or fuel sensor is faulty, would the pump still work when turning on the ignition?

I believe so, is part of the initial start up process, pump should pump for 3 sec. V boost servo should cycle then all quiet. You can try switching to res, and see if the bike will stay running. Or see if the pump still pumps. Sean knows more than I do, I'm just going from memory as to what I've read on this forum. But I do know the light cuts power to the pump. It has a sensor in the tank the when submerged under fuel keeps the light off, when it's not covered, the resistor heats up, and turns on the light, and shuts the pump off. Think I got that right, lol.

Unplug the sender on the right side of the battery. It should put you in constant res. mode. If everything works unplugged, ditch the sender.

Latest posts

Back