Fuel level gauge / indicator. How to install?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabit1

Reaction score
Hi,

My fuel reserve light doesn't work. (The bulb works, it turns on and then off when I start the bike). But many times I'm running empty without even knowing.

So, I would love to get one of these installed on my vmax.
A fuel level gauge/indicator.

mw_o4HEfiwHBC28jXh22_aA.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=motorcycle+gas+gauge&_frs=1

But I don't know how these work, and have no idea on how to install.

Does anyone have one of these installed and would share a little howto?

Thank you,
Regards,

We've done a fuel gauge conversion (see pics on facebook). Many of those displays will work. You just need the correct sending unit and then mount it up in the tank.

I'm sorry, don't quite understand how/where the sending unit installed to.
I don't suppose we need to drill a hole in the tank?

With the exception of my 1984 Honda Nighthawk S, all the other bikes I've ever owned did not have fuel level gauges. Personally, trip odometers in conjunction with the low fuel light are the best way to gauge how much fuel you have left. My 1994 Suzuki RF900 was a champ when it came to mileage per tankful; 5.5 gals on the highway with the cruise control set at 70mph, I would average about 235 to 240 miles before the low fuel light with start to flicker on....

What you have in the picture is a MECHANICAL guage !!
It replaces the fuel cap on a normal bike and the weight will float on the petrol when full / sink and pull the guage cable when empty. You could install it on a Vmax but your guage will be under the seat - not much use to you there

What you need is an electronic sender (using a float or conductive post) a few wires and a guage on the dash
http://vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=11928

The easist solution to this problem of running out of gas is set your trip gauge every time you fuel. At 100 miles think about getting gas at 120 miles think about how far you have to walk to get gas, At 130 miles lace up you boots cause your in for a walk:biglaugh:
Follow these simple rules and never run out of gas:punk:

Yes that trip reset is currently my method too.. but

1. Sometimes you forget to reset the trip meter
2. Depending on how you ride, the mileage is not always consistent
3. I'd still have to look and peek inside the tank just to make sure...

Anyway to fix the fuel low light and make it reliable?. because mine never works.

Why not simply fix your OEM setup so that the red light actually lights and the fuel pump stalls out when you are low on fuel? Then flip the reserve switch and change directions to the nearest fuel station. Parts are available.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/93-Yamaha-V...es&hash=item2c7256407e&vxp=mtr#ht_3788wt_1003

Here's a whole tank complete with sensor:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-1985...Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d435f8ff3&vxp=mtr

I've gotten by using this OEM setup since day one(1) back in 1985, and it still works for me. I've never run out of gas and had to park alongside the road.

have you changed your fuel light with an after market led one ? if yes maybe thats your problem, when i replaced some bulbs with led ones sometimes they worked sometimes they did not

I figure the bulb is working because it turns itself on then off when starting the bike. But I just don't have any idea how to fix the whole fuel Reserve system, because I never have to switch to Reserve if the fuel level is low. I get no warning.

I might just take jfeagins idea and replace the sending unit. But I'm afraid the OE is just really not reliable at all.

I'd love to have a new system with fuel gauge but don't like the idea of drilling a hole in the tank. Maybe there's a product that replaces the tank cap with something with a sensor?

Anyway, I appreciate if someone can help me diagnose and fix the fuel reserve system first? Where do I start?

It may very well simply be the sending unit. Use a flashlight (and not a torch) and look inside the tank. It's common for the wire to break on the resistor in the tank.

I figure the bulb is working because it turns itself on then off when starting the bike. But I just don't have any idea how to fix the whole fuel Reserve system, because I never have to switch to Reserve if the fuel level is low. I get no warning.

I might just take jfeagins idea and replace the sending unit. But I'm afraid the OE is just really not reliable at all.

I'd love to have a new system with fuel gauge but don't like the idea of drilling a hole in the tank. Maybe there's a product that replaces the tank cap with something with a sensor?

Anyway, I appreciate if someone can help me diagnose and fix the fuel reserve system first? Where do I start?
I'd think about changing the sender out if I were you. It's a piece of cake and can be done without removing the tank. My light comes on with .8 gallons left, and reliably. I have a fairly new sender. It's a good opportunity to clean out the bottom of the tank too.

The connections at the bottom of the sender underneath the tank can break too, they're exposed to everything that can be kicked up off the road

My sending unit is a 1985 model and still, very reliably, sending the right signals into the system. (knock on wood) It reminded me of time to fuel up less than 3 weeks ago, and will prolly be lighting up again TODAY on my way home from work.

Hi everyone, have the same problem that rabit1 had on 2013 in my Rf900. I concluded the fuel indicator light is not the problem as it turns on every time I switch the ignition on.
Looking for diagnosis instructions in the manual I found a test to check if the cable connections from the fuel level indicator light to the fuel level indicator switch are in place and if the fuel lever indicator switch is working or not, it may be useful for the V-Max system too as they share similar components.

Any successful experience refitting the fuel level indicator switch? Any reputable dealer recommendation to buy a spare one?

V-max always was one of my favorite bikes, my pleasure to have been accepted as part of the community, have a good one!

Attachments

• F275CAD6-00E6-45A3-97C6-9BCCB6D93AB8.jpeg
    F275CAD6-00E6-45A3-97C6-9BCCB6D93AB8.jpeg
    47.4 KB · Views: 16
  • D6130A4E-3A00-470D-8F4D-13218DE5FA03.jpeg
    D6130A4E-3A00-470D-8F4D-13218DE5FA03.jpeg
    89.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Back