Fuel Line Lengths and Sizes????

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecOps13

Reaction score
I'm going through my 94, updating everything I can. The bike's running as perfect as it ever has for me. I'm trying to head off the next Gremlin that'll try to ruin my riding fun.

I want to replace all of the Gas / fuel lines / hoses with the best stuff I can find. Something that'll hold up longer to Ethinol. I'm still able to get Non Ethinol gas right now. I keep a stock (20 Gallons) for the bikes and a small boat with a big engine. Not too sure how long that supply will remain available and I sometimes have to fill up with Ethinol on longer rides. The bike runs like crap when I do that.:bang head:

Anyone know the lengths and sizes I need from the tank to the carbs, drains, vents too I guess. Who sells a High Quality Fuel Line and who makes it?

Thanx,

I'll answer this myself over time so the next person to do it has something to go by...

After inspecting all of the lines, I found that it wasn't necessary to replace the hose on the drains and vents. Any contaminent entering them is leaving the bike anyway.

I did a search to find the gas lines that would stand up to ethinol. I found line that's USCG Approved for marine use at West Marine. I bought 3' of 5/ 16" and 4' of 1/4". The spec on this hose says it's fantastic stuff. it's marketed by Teleflex. See the Fuel Line Properties if you're interested. http://www.teleflexmarine.com/shieldshose/website/section/product/103/8

Marked on the fuel line in white is the following: Shields Series 368 Low Permiation Fuel Feed - EPA Compliant ASRAPLINE368 - USCG Type A1-15 SAE J1527/ISO 7840PH 1/4" (OR 5/16") Use With ABYC Compliant fittings - MADE IN USA 02191OA

I have way too much line for the job at hand but I hate return trips for parts.

One of the lines is T'd between the 2 right cylinders. I found a variety pack of T fittings at Advance auto for about $7. The T sizes are 1/4", 5/16" and 3/8". These should be available at most auto parts stores. These fittings are Brass, I don't know if they're really ABYC Compliant but they were the only game in town. I'm reusing clamps where possible. I'll try to give sizes and measurements of the lines as I do them tomorrow.

ADDED: 6/22/2010: I pulled lines one at a time and found that the hoses that were on the bike are ethinol proof, atleast all but one. The line that I bought was much thicker (Outside Diameter) than what was there making me scramble through my junk boxes for clamps. The hoses from Yamaha are molded and would be a piece of cake to replace 1 for 1. Somebody must have updated the hoses on this bike when Yamaha transitioned to Ethinol Proof Gas Lines. There's no way the brass T Fitting would have gone in place with 3 pieces of fuel line and clamps on it. So it's a good thing that what was there was like new. I feel kinda like a rookie mechanic, with this fiasco. I did get the one line replaced the comes from the fuel pump to the the carb block. I cut it open and found some rust and residue at one of the curves, it was not ethinol proof line. I'm glad I did get into this because that one line may have and would have given me grief. Next time, I'll bite the bullet and buy the factory molded lines. I spent the whole day working on this, it could have been a 2 hour job....

Hope all of this effort helps somebody down the road. Either get Yamaha replacements or use the Gray Colored Marine Hoses.

Last edited:
I'll answer this myself over time so the next person to do it has something to go by...

After inspecting all of the lines, I found that it wasn't necessary to replace the hose on the drains and vents. Any contaminent entering them is leaving the bike anyway.

I did a search to find the gas lines that would stand up to ethinol. I found line that's USCG Approved for marine use at West Marine. I bought 3' of 5/ 16" and 4' of 1/4". The spec on this hose says it's fantastic stuff. it's marketed by Teleflex. See the Fuel Line Properties if you're interested. http://www.teleflexmarine.com/shieldshose/website/section/product/103/8

Marked on the fuel line in white is the following: Shields Series 368 Low Permiation Fuel Feed - EPA Compliant ASRAPLINE368 - USCG Type A1-15 SAE J1527/ISO 7840PH 1/4" (OR 5/16") Use With ABYC Compliant fittings - MADE IN USA 02191OA

I have way too much line for the job at hand but I hate return trips for parts.

One of the lines is T'd between the 2 right cylinders. I found a variety pack of T fittings at Advance auto for about $7. The T sizes are 1/4", 5/16" and 3/8". These should be available at most auto parts stores. These fittings are Brass, I don't know if they're really ABYC Compliant but they were the only game in town. I'm reusing clamps where possible. I'll try to give sizes and measurements of the lines as I do them tomorrow.

ADDED: 6/22/2010: I pulled lines one at a time and found that the hoses that were on the bike are ethinol proof, atleast all but one. The line that I bought was much thicker (Outside Diameter) than what was there making me scramble through my junk boxes for clamps. The hoses from Yamaha are molded and would be a piece of cake to replace 1 for 1. Somebody must have updated the hoses on this bike when Yamaha transitioned to Ethinol Proof Gas Lines. There's no way the brass T Fitting would have gone in place with 3 pieces of fuel line and clamps on it. So it's a good thing that what was there was like new. I feel kinda like a rookie mechanic, with this fiasco. I did get the one line replaced the comes from the fuel pump to the the carb block. I cut it open and found some rust and residue at one of the curves, it was not ethinol proof line. I'm glad I did get into this because that one line may have and would have given me grief. Next time, I'll bite the bullet and buy the factory molded lines. I spent the whole day working on this, it could have been a 2 hour job....

Hope all of this effort helps somebody down the road. Either get Yamaha replacements or use the Gray Colored Marine Hoses.
I was trying to find the fuel line sizes so I could change the filter out....this helped alot and even more with the info about the lengths thanks....i know I'm late at the post

Back