fuel mileage

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlog-vmax

Reaction score
I have only put 245 miles on my 1990 vmax it is stock except for uni foam air filter and the exhaust has been modified with 5 3/8 holes in cans. as far as i know everthing inside is stock. my question is i am already on my fourth tank of gas and only avg. about 75 miles onthe first two so i put a new uni airfilter on and no change is this normal. is their anything i can do besides lay off the throttle.

Re: fuel milage

I did about an 85 mile trip on my 89 yesterday, Got 38 mpg. I was in it hard a number of times, over 100 MPH... Something's wrong to get your gas mileage...Fuel almost has to be leaking somewhere. Check your plug color and look for leaks with it running...

i have checked for leaks and looked a the plugs there a light tan. it runns great i am on the throttle pretty hard and run on the highway at 80 to 100. but i would think it would get better milage

That's like how I was riding yesterday. Plugs sound like their running perfect...:confused2::ummm::confused2:Mileage should be better...

How much fuel are you filling your tank with each time? The stock tank only holds 4 gallons and the most I have ever put into it is 3.8 gals. Typically I have to shake the bike to get it to fill properly(get all the air out) and I normally put in 3.2 to 3.5 gal if I run it until the low fuel red light on.
I have made it 80 miles on a tank (25mpg assuming 3.2 gal fill-up) quite a few times but that is because of a heavy throttle, most times I get well over 100 miles out of a tank. I have a OD 5th gear that has pushed my hwy miles upwards which is now giving me 145 per tankful.

I notice around town when I get on it I sit about 30mpg, freeway riding i've had it at 45mpg cruzing 75-80 in 5th.

There isn't really enough info here, fill to the same point each time and do the math: miles driven divided by gallons pumped = mpg

Give us a miles per gallon figure to work from, it may not be as bad as you think.

also heavy throttle all the time can send you down to 25mpg. Danny's right though get some numbers to work with.

How much fuel are you filling your tank with each time? I have to shake the bike to get it to fill properly and I normally put in 3.2 to 3.5 gal if I run it with the low fuel red light on.
I have made it 80 miles on a tank quite a few times but that is because of a heavy throttle, most times I get well over 100 miles out of a tank. I have a OD 5th gear that has pushed my hwy miles upwards which is now giving me 145 per tankful.

Brian, naive Question but what is the OD 5th gear ?
It seems pretty interesting such millage :eusa_dance:
What does that 5th gear changing so much ?

this friday made my first trip with my fcr's 39 installed. travelled about 336 kilometres (208 miles) believe me i couldnt go less than 170 km/h (105 miles/h) i made 93 miles before the red fuel light came on. i was suprised cause i was riding from 105 miles/h and reached top speed.... ARE YOU SITING... 160 MILES PER HOUR. the tacho was about 9300-9400. with the mikuni with fifth gear never could reach more than 8700. at 8700 with the stock carbs had 143 miles/h . the thing is when in the highway and stock carbs over 6500 rpm had a lot fuel consumtion. at about 5000 -5500 rpm could go 24 miles more than if i was going with 6500-7000 rpm

Brian, naive Question but what is the OD 5th gear ?
It seems pretty interesting such millage :eusa_dance:
What does that 5th gear changing so much ?
Michael, I have Sean's 5th gear overdrive gear (Royal Star 5th gear) that raises the top gear ratio by about 25% over stock. I like that it leaves my other gears stock so I can hot rod around in gears 1-4 when I want and I have it the 5th gear for mileage on the highway.

i did the math each time i filled up took miles driven by gallons pumped and avg. about 25 miles per gallon

When was the last time you synced your carbs?

I'm running a kerker, Sean's jet kit w/stg 7 needles and I still pull over 40 on the highway and 38+ around town.

i havent checked carb sync only had it a short time and it was running good so didnt think about it i will check that thanks

i did the math each time i filled up took miles driven by gallons pumped and avg. about 25 miles per gallon

Wow, even with a heavy hand you should get better than that. Have you noticed any gas smell?

Your average was 25, what was each tank....right in the 25 area or were they spaced out more.....like (1) at 20 & (1) @ 30?

Latest posts

Back