Fuel Mileage

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have owned both an 85 Vmax until I had a hundred and sixty-five thousand miles on it and I have a generation to Vmax as we speak. You should be happy with just 91 miles until you hit Reserve. But once again we do not know what your type of driving is if you keep it under 5,000 or 6,000 RPM shifting it you won't hit vboost

I love reading anything about gas mileage pertaining to Vmax owners and riders. As far as I'm concerned, the more fuel your Vmax sucks down is directly proportional to just how bad ass your Vmax is. The only thing that puts a bigger smile on my face than seeing the price to fill my '85 Vmax tank (usually about $10) is the force with which it attempts to throw me off the back when I crack open Vboost! And I'm 62 years old! Luv You Guys!

Age is a potential factor, mine not the Gen1, but over 20k miles covered, have managed over 30 mpg (US). Before suggestions of not having fun or some such, we have a sidecar attached. Occasional visits to the VBoost zone tend to raise the heart rate for both the lady wife and self, as well as smiles.
SidecarPat nearly a young 70, whilst the big kid in her life is 74.
Vmax and sidecar = at least double the fun !

Riding on the highway at the same speed for an hour- light comes on at 87.
Riding thru hills and twisties with a lot of 3/4 throttle and speeds over 110- light comes on at 83.
Bottom line, didn’t buy it for fuel mileage and my different riding styles make almost no difference in the mpg so... go baby go.
I just can’t seem to figure out how to keep rubber on the rear tire ;)

That's interesting dan2theVmax, it appears that the Gen2 mileage is a lot more consistent. I haven't ever consistently checked mileage on my '85 but if I go for a cruise with other riders my mileage goes way up compared to short trips around town where I don't hesitate to enjoy as much Vboost as possible, but like you said, hopefully nobody buys a Vmax for fuel economy. Hmmm, just had a thought. Even at it's worst my Vmax still gets way better mileage than almost every car I've ever owned (of course I've never owned a Prius).

Just waiting to start up for season just now but the "Corona" is on my back.... stay at home.. dont do nothing.... better in US with Trumph ?

Been riding every weekend. Got into the mountains last weekend, round the Twisties.......300 plus miles.

I'm think about adding the lawnmower gas tank to the back rack (inside of a tail bag of course). Should give almost an extra gallon of fuel.

120 miles till light comes on. 40 mpg. I drive like a grandpa is suppose to but do use the boost on occasion. 2005 Anniversary edition, #0809 of 2000.

Something that most people don't think about when the fuel tank gets lower and lower your fuel mileage goes down do to fuel sloosh in the tank. As the fuel slooshes on to the dry side walls of the fuel tank or fuel cell it causes evaporation which vents out the tank vent. So I find if I'm really after fuel mileage the more stable I keep my fuel in the RPM sweet spot for fuel mileage the better the fuel mileage on anything i own. Also speed does not dictate fuel mileage. It can be a good reference point but a good fuel Miser knows that vacuum dictates fuel mileage and a good fuel Miser can listen to RPM and load on the engine to stay as smooth as possible with your fuel mileage.

Last edited:
My Gen 2 has 78,000+ and I get 28-31mpg. We all know we didn't chose a V for economy. However if you just cruise and calm yourself. You have nothing to prove when on a Vmax. Enjoy!

I don't mind mapping gas stops every 80 miles because I get bored seeing beekeeper AKA Tom and Leecifer AKA Lee in my rearview mirror any longer than that. Lol

Big mistake in the bike design is the tank. They could have gotten 5 gal and we would all be happy. I have run out 1x and come WAY to close to many times.

I was shocked when I bought my 2015 brand new, never had a new bike before this. Fuel light came on with 75 miles on it - I thought "well maybe the dealer didn't fill it up all the way". It was so new I could still smell the paint curing on the engine while I was driving it around. Now I'm just used to filling it up at 75 miles. Best I've gotten it 95 miles on a tank, but I haven't let it run out yet. It eats tires and guzzles fuel!

120 miles till light comes on. 40 mpg. I drive like a grandpa is suppose to but do use the boost on occasion. 2005 Anniversary edition, #0809 of 2000.

This is about where I am at with my 99. I live at 4000' and have the Morley jet kit and Kerker exh. Highway usage and HD killing can drop that significantly though. If I'm mellow I can barely touch the low 40s. Quite a bit better than my Suzuki.

The cost of fuel doesn't bother me so much, but the less range I have the shorter that tether that keeps me close to civilization.

Back