fuel mixture screws

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v-max4fun

Reaction score
Two fuel mixer screw are stuck in the front carburetors on my Max and they are damage. Is there any possibility to fix this problem? Drill 2 little holes in the pilot screw and try a bigger screwdriver but nothing works. I thing somebody put lock-tide on it. Did try WD-40. Heated the carb. Still stuck. I try to adjust the air/fuel mix because the motor runs bate idle. (0.08% CO - 0.1%CO - 0.1%CO and the last carb 7.8% CO with the pilot screw close). Is there somebody who has a solution fore this problem.

Frozen, stripped mixture screws are a snake to deal with....sometimes I can get them removed, sometimes not. Probly average about 50/50.

I can try to get them out for you but can't guarantee success....I suggest getting hold of Sean Morley and see if he has some bare carb bodies to replace them with.

I had one stripped pretty bad on a ATV carb once... I used a yankee screwdriver and a very sharp flat tip... put some pressure on it and lightly tapped it out in reverse... works better than an impact driver and is take lots less pressure to begin the twisting motion... they are about $25 online.

finds-stanley-yankee-screwdrivers

Last edited:
I had one stripped pretty bad on a ATV carb once... I used a yankee screwdriver and a very sharp flat tip... put some pressure on it and lightly tapped it out in reverse... works better than an impact driver and is take lots less pressure to begin the twisting motion... they are about $25 online.

So THAT'S what they're called....I got two of them but never knew their name! :punk:

Here's what I do. I just had a set with every one of them stripped. I have a center drill that fits the hole semi tight.But you can use a regular drill bit. I drill a perfect center this way. Then I pick a drill bit a little smaller that the head of the needle. I drill the head straight through, this gives the easy-out a better bite. This does separate the thin part of the needle from the head. Then I heat the area outside the body and around the treads with my little butane torch. Spray in some PB Blaster (anything you like will work). I tap an easy-out into the thin shell that's left, not to hard, with a hammer. I put the head of the easy-out in a vise and twist the carb body. The needle tip is usually not seized. A few taps of the carb body on a block of wood and the needle tip falls out.
I've gotten every one of them out so far this way. A drill press or Small milling machine is handy (I picked one up on the cheap), but I've done this with a hand held drill many times. You'll be done in 10-15 minutes each. Extra time to fish out the o-ring that usually sticks inside.
I hope this helps some of you out. Next time I do it I can take picks if you guys want.

A/F screw is realy stuck in left front carb.
Try to heat de carb. body en than to move the air screw but didn't work.
Now i'm looking for a carb. body.
My question now is, the carb. body of a Yamaha Veture are thy the same as from a V-max

I believe that there is a slight difference... That the Vmax carb is 35mm, and the venture carb is 34 mm, now can you run the 2 of them together...that I dont know.

The left front carb (#2) is the only one you can not substitute a Venture carb for as that one has the choke lever boss and the Venture doesn't. It HAS to be a 35mm Venture carb not 34mm also (they made both).

Pretty sure I have a left front VMax #2 carb if you'd like to PM me.

By now i would just use one of these below just for the fun of letting that #2 bastard know that he cannot take the best of me... And im still the one running the show here... LOL

depositphotos_3864426-Woman-with-hammer-drill.jpg

I dril a hole in the a/f screw. Heated de outside of the carb. Then a try to lose the a/f screw with a speciale tool. It was from steel and it broke off, so now is it inposible to dril again. I think i leave it this way. maybe i find sa carb. nearby. Thanks Dannymax fore te offer but i think it wil be to expensive to send it to Europe. Thanks everyone for you're good advice . Still very happy with my bike.

I dril a hole in the a/f screw. Heated de outside of the carb. Then a try to lose the a/f screw with a speciale tool. It was from steel and it broke off, so now is it inposible to dril again. I think i leave it this way. maybe i find sa carb. nearby. Thanks Dannymax fore te offer but i think it wil be to expensive to send it to Europe. Thanks everyone for you're good advice . Still very happy with my bike.

For a carb barrel should expect to pay 25 bucks in shipping??? And USPS almost doubled prices this last year.

Back