Fuel pump click but not pump...???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are 2 diaphragms internally, One might have popped out of place. A search on Fuel Pump not pumping or something
similar should give you pictures and a detailed description to disassemble and reassemble... It's not a hard fix.

I think I'm reading that thread right now. I'll go rip everything apart again and see what turns up. Hopefully it's a quick fix and I didn't destroy something during install.

Just be sure the inlet and outlet go in the same places as they came apart... Good Luck....

I'll see what I can do. I'm assuming that if it had been fiddled with before and put back together backwards, it would be pumping air out towards the tank... Hope I can get it sorted fast.

If you have a good thread on the subject, it's fool proof...:clapping:

Ok. This is really frustrating. I took apart the pump and it looks exactly like (almost worse) than the one I'm replacing because I know what was pumped through the old one. Looks like the one I got to replace it has seen a bunch of rust, too. I believe both diaphragms are there and I can't see how one could have fallen out, especially since I disassembled it on a bright yellow towel, and I've taken apart one of these fuel pumps in the last month already.

I put the whole thing back together, turn the key, clicks..... No pumping. Tried to pump fuel through the carb line detached from the carbs, nothing. Doesn't even try to fill the filter.

Air leak somewhere behind the pump.... Gotta be..:confused2:
Edit, also try with the gas cap loose so the tank is
definitely vented...

Man, I hope there's no leak. I blew into the carb feed hose and I could hear the air coming out of the airbox mounted tubes. I'm pretty sure it's not a leak at the pump/carb hose. Somebody said something in another thread about it holding vacuum, but I could have been reading things wrong. I can suck air back through the carbs as well, does that mean no vacuum? It doesn't seem that hard to push/pull air through with my mouth. Likewise, I siphoned a bit of gas out through the lines that lead to the pump, and it was super easy even without as seal from outlet to siphon hose.
I may have gotten a bad pump... Or there's not enough voltage and I just can't get the right wires or read my meter properly. Being tired doesn't help either.

Man, I hope there's no leak. I blew into the carb feed hose and I could hear the air coming out of the airbox mounted tubes. I'm pretty sure it's not a leak at the pump/carb hose. Somebody said something in another thread about it holding vacuum, but I could have been reading things wrong. I can suck air back through the carbs as well, does that mean no vacuum? It doesn't seem that hard to push/pull air through with my mouth. Likewise, I siphoned a bit of gas out through the lines that lead to the pump, and it was super easy even without as seal from outlet to siphon hose.
I may have gotten a bad pump... Or there's not enough voltage and I just can't get the right wires or read my meter properly. Being tired doesn't help either.

The Clymer manual outlines fuel pump testing-
Check output - disconnect output hose, connect long spare hose, feed into gas can.
Disconnect two-pin connector , use jumpers to power pump directly from battery (positive to blue/black wire, negative to solid black) Fuel should flow. If not -
Check input - As above, this time also disconnect input hose, attach spare hose, put end in filled gas can. Again, power up direct from battery. Pump may have to be removed from bike for this test.

Simple tests, eliminates all the variables (vacuum leaks, clogged filters, pinched fuel lines, etc). Make sure your battery voltage is good!
Cheers!

Back