Fuel pump pressure and volume

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bailey28

Reaction score
I need to replace the fuel pump on my 06 Vmax. I inadvertently destroyed the stock pump trying to drain the tank.

Anyone care to share the stock fuel pump specifications as PSI output and volume? My shade tree estimate is that the pump flows less than a typical auto pump both in pressure and volume.

Therefore I was deciding between two aftermarket Holley Mighty Mite electric pumps. the 12-425 and the 12-426. Both appear that they will fit well in the stock location and both have the ability to lift fuel at least 12 inches.

The 12-425 puts out 1-2.5 psi at 25 gph. The 12-426 puts out 1.5-4 psi at 25 gph.

Which one would be closest to the stock pump output?

I won't get another stock pump.

I suspect either will work for you. I haven't checked the factory service manual for specs, but if you go to the VMOA part of the forum, you can download a manual there.

I don't have the answers but you have chosen wisely two pumps with low pressure - too high a pressure will have the petrol pushing against the floats to cause flooding.

From memory 3.5 psi is the ballpark figure, remember in olden times carbs were gravity fed from an overhead tank ( 2.31 feet of head = 1 PSI )

Looks like I will try the 1-2.5 psi pump. More detail on "destroyed": When pumping out the tank the battery shifted and crossed the wire leads I had rigged up.... It bricked the pump in about 1 second fyi. Glad there wasn't an explosion as there was a puff of smoke!

I will report back if there is an increase in fuel mileage due to slightly lower pressure. I made sure all floats are set at 1.125"
dry.

Back