Fuel pump relay.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Seward

Reaction score
I've been having a few problems recently with the Roadstar. Intermittent fuel pump failure. I replaced the pump with one from EBay. Sure as shit, it turned out to be a problem with the relay. Instead of spending a hundred bucks for a stock relay, I borrowed an Eastern Beaver relay from a spare headlight relay setup and hooked up the pump triggered by a switched 12 volt source. Then powered the pump with a fused line from battery to pump to ground. So far so good.. The Roadie has some sort of tip over switch that when activated, shuts the relay off, killing the pump. Hopefully, the bike will never be upside down in a ditch or something,and I'll not need the tip over shut off function.

I've got an EBay pump in Godzilla, it's worked fine for about 10k miles, so I trust this one. Being carbureted, another way to solve the fuel pump problem is to run a line from petcock to carb, and use gravity feed. Lots of Roadstar guys have done this. I now carry a piece of fuel line, clamps, and tools to switch to gravity feed, just in case.

And - wait for it - the replacement pump failed. I bitched to the Ebay seller, he's sending me a replacement. These Roadstar pumps can't be taken apart to get at the flapper valves. If this one poops out, I think I may order another Vmax specific pump.

Update. I got that supposedly "failed" pump working shortly after the last post. So far so good. It ran fine throughout the February Ride. Clicks every timke I turn on the ignition, as it should.. I now carry the fuel line for gravity feed, and the new pump the guy on EBay sent me - just in case.

I wound up changing out that supposed failed pump for the one the guy sent me for a replacement. All is well now. I've gotten a couple chances to ride since installing it, and after 75 or 80 miles, it seems to be fine. I will carry the gravity feed parts from now on, just in case.

Latest posts

Back