Fuel Pump Test

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmaxxer_89

Reaction score
For the past couple weeks I've been trying to track down an issue with my fuel pump. I was getting current to the fuel pump relay, but not out to the pump. So, I replaced the fuel pump relay. Now, I'm getting current to the fuel pump, but it's not clicking away as it should (I disconnected the fuel line going from the pump to the carbs, so it shouldn't be thinking the carbs are full and shutting off right away). What happens is that when I turn on the ignition, I hear a faint noise from the fuel pump...and then nothing at all until 5 seconds later when the relay turns off. At that point, I get one click out of the fuel pump.

Before I replaced the fuel pump relay I tested the fuel pump by connecting it directly to the battery. The one time I tested it, it clicked away like it should. I tested it again tonight and it will click away only about a third of the time. So, I'm thinking the pump needs to be replaced as well? Out of curiosity, I took the black plastic cap off the end of the pump (where the wires are). I noticed what seemed to be a set of breaker points that were in BAD shape. I then hooked the pump up to the battery and when the pump was running, there was A LOT of arcing between those two contacts. Is that normal wear and tear for these fuel pumps? Also, would those worn contacts be causing the problem I'm seeing, and is the only option to replace the entire pump?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and advice:punk:

From what you describe it does sound like it is the contacts in the pump that are the issue.

It's mot a common issue but I have heard of it.

I haven't had one apart (yet) so I'm not familiar with the set-up.
You don't have much to loose apart from some time so it would be worthwhile trying to clean up the contacts.

A photo would be good if possible.

Back