Fuel Red light and Oil Red light comes on, what could be the problem?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to confirm that both lamps are lit as soon as the ignition is turned on and stay on?

The lights should come on during the starting sequence (when the button is fully depressed). That is a verification that the warning bulbs are functioning. If they stay on when you are not pushing the button (and it's not stuck which is common) then you have another issue going on.

They work by grounding out through their respective switches. Check the wiring down to the left under the side cover over the fuel tank and then follow them to see if they are shorting out on the exhaust or frame/engine covers somewhere. One wire will be white (but covered by a thick black sheath) and the other a light pale blue. Each has bullet connectors and about the only thing on the bike that can be plugged in incorrectly (though this is not your problem).

They work by grounding out through their respective switches. Check the wiring down to the left under the side cover over the fuel tank and then follow them to see if they are shorting out on the exhaust or frame/engine covers somewhere. One wire will be white (but covered by a thick black sheath) and the other a light pale blue. Each has bullet connectors and about the only thing on the bike that can be plugged in incorrectly (though this is not your problem).
Thanks bro! I'll check the wires when I get home later and update you regarding this, thanks again! 😊

Take a look at and test your diode assembly as well. It's a small, black block with pigtail wiring that sits on top of the ignition unit. Inside, there's a diode for the fuel pump system and a resistor for the oil sending switch/oil lamp. There's a another diode for the neutral switch/light and other switches pertaining to the starting cutoff circuit.

Take a look at and test your diode assembly as well. It's a small, black block with pigtail wiring that sits on top of the ignition unit. Inside, there's a diode for the fuel pump system and a resistor for the oil sending switch/oil lamp. There's a another diode for the neutral switch/light and other switches pertaining to the starting cutoff circuit.
Where's the ignition unit? 😊 Newbie here

Copy this to your computer, and print out a hard copy, put it into a loose-leaf notebook, and read it.

http://vmoa.net/VMX12-Service-Manual01.pdf
The first ~64pp. are yearly updates, 'supplements' and after that, you have the factory shop manual. The Appendix is helpful also, nut/bolt sizes, torque values, cable/hose routings, and more.

If you list your year bike as your 'signature' (click on your upper-right screen name) and add where you are, someone close by may be able to volunteer to help, or know of a reputable shop by you.

Where's the ignition unit? 😊 Newbie here
Hey Billy I had a problem something like that. I put led light bulbs in the fuel , well every socket that there is in the warning light. Made a lot of things go crazy. Have you replaced any bulbs like that? Just telling you the problem i had. It was a gen. 1 2004 model.

Hey Billy I had a problem something like that. I put led light bulbs in the fuel , well every socket that there is in the warning light. Made a lot of things go crazy. Have you replaced any bulbs like that? Just telling you the problem i had. It was a gen. 1 2004 model.
Haven't replaced bulbs bro... 😊 Been using my vmax for 20years and no problems til now.. 😭... Besides the 2warning lights turning on, my engine is leaking oil... 😩

Latest posts

Back