Fuel Reserve & light not working

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusty

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I knew I was low on gas. Road around my local naborhood wateing for the low fuel light to come on.Instead the thing just completly ran out of gas.Including the reserve. leaving me on the side of the road. The light never came on & I had the switch in the ON position. Ran out of gas before,but allways able to re-start the bike after switching to reserve.I had a little flashlight with me,and I could see the tank was dry.Im thinking maybe it's the reserve switch.But i'm not sure.Any feed back on my problem.?? :confused2:Thanks. Rusty..... O, I had a friend rescue me with a small can of gas.

Last edited:
+1 to G. Could be just the bulb. Does the bulb work when you first turn the key and run switch on?
No,the low fuel light does not come on when I turn on ignition.I never notest before....Is it supposed to.:ummm: If the light is part of the circut.Hopefully thats the problem.Ill check it out & let U know if that was the fix.A new switch would be pricey. Thanks,I really appreciate the help U guys.:worthy:

I'm about 90% sure both the oil and fuel lights come on when you first turn on the key so you can check the bulbs work.

If the bulb if blown, the whole circuit doesn't work. The low-fuel pump interrupt signal from the sender never got past the bulb to actually kill the fuel pump.

Replacing the bulb would be my first step, even if it appears ok...sometimes little tiny bulbs can be tricky...look ok but they don't actually work.

Yes, the light needs to work for the circuit to work properly. Can't remember if it should come on with the key only, or if the key and the ignition both need to be on. I think just the key..... I'm sure if you searched you can find that info.

Either way, if you turn the key and don't see it, then flip the switch and don't see it, I would check the bulb, or replace with one already in the cluster just for testing purposes.

The light does the test when the start button is pushed (along with the oil light test). With a bad light the pump will not run in the on position. It will only work in the reserve position.

Sean

Yes, the light needs to work for the circuit to work properly. Can't remember if it should come on with the key only, or if the key and the ignition both need to be on. I think just the key..... I'm sure if you searched you can find that info.

Either way, if you turn the key and don't see it, then flip the switch and don't see it, I would check the bulb, or replace with one already in the cluster just for testing purposes.
Great idea Mike,ill post the results real soon.I'm just to lazy to take it apart right now.:compute::jerk it:

The light does the test when the start button is pushed (along with the oil light test). With a bad light the pump will not run in the on position. It will only work in the reserve position.

Sean
OK Sean.Just did the start button test, both the oil & reserve lights came on. Im thinkin it mite be something else:ummm:

It's not uncommon for the wire to break on the sensor. Get it out and look it over. Some have repaired them though a replacement may be in order. I should have new and used available (but you can check and see if you need one first).

Sean

It's not uncommon for the wire to break on the sensor. Get it out and look it over. Some have repaired them though a replacement may be in order. I should have new and used available (but you can check and see if you need one first).

Sean
Thanks Sean,ill let u know if i need anything.U guys are awesome.:clapping:

Last edited:
probably the fuel sender.
Same thing happened to me, terminals on the sender rotted away and I had to push Max to the gas station

Latest posts

Back