fuel smell

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

preacherandy

Reaction score
every time i turn on ignition, i get a fuel odor. what causes this and what do i do to remedy this. thanks, preacherandy

every time i turn on ignition, i get a fuel odor. what causes this and what do i do to remedy this. thanks, preacherandy

Check for some leaks. even really small ones can put out a suprising amount of fuel. Check the fuel lines, carbs, etc... sounds like when your fuel pump first pressurizes it maybe quirting a little fuel out.

Does your VMAX have a Stage 7 Dyno Jet Kit? (no air box individual intake filters)

Check for some leaks. even really small ones can put out a suprising amount of fuel. Check the fuel lines, carbs, etc... sounds like when your fuel pump first pressurizes it maybe quirting a little fuel out.
no noticable leaks, also after riding smell continues. makes garage smell really sweet. ha

Another possibility could be that one or more of your float needles are dirty or worn, not sealing properly. If that's the case, you should be able to see a drop or two of gas at the end of the fuel bowl overflow tubes that come out on the sides of the carbs just below the slide's covers.

But leaks are the most likely - especially if you smell it after you turn the key. Take your seat off, then take a really good look at the fuel hose going from the tank to the fuel pump, and the one going from the fuel pump to the fuel rails on the carbs. Removing your faux-tank and air box will also really help there. Also, to really check those hoses properly, you need to take them off and bend them in your hands looking for cracks and splits. I think that you're most likely cause for that smell.

Last thing - do you notice more straight after a fill-up? It may be that you're overfilling, or that your tank breather is obstructed..

Does your VMAX have a Stage 7 Dyno Jet Kit? (no air box individual intake filters)

So I was doing some searching because I smell like gas pretty bad after riding the bike. I think I might have a fuel leak somewhere and wanted to see if there were any common ones. I notice TurboVMAX mentioned a stage 7 jet kit which is what my bike is running. Is this kit known for smelling or something? I'm pretty confident my bike is tuned well so I don't think its running really rich. Am I gonna search my life away for a leaky line and never be able to find one because of those four individual air filters?

Use a small telescoping mirror to get a look at the float bowl covers. Sometimes that gasket or the main jet access plug o-ring shrink/crack and will leak fuel. Also, flick your drain tubes and see if any comes out there. Tighten the drain screw and check the o-ring condition. Check float bowl vents...should be dry. Check around boots for wetness. They may be bad or your clamps are loose.

Latest posts

Back