Fuel System Cleaning

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Llanso

Reaction score
I just sent my '04s carbs off for a professional cleaning, pretty sure sitting too long with ethanol was the culprit, bike's been a paperweight for a few years now. What is the best way to clean the rest of the fuel system to ensure I'm not going to re-gunk them as soon as I bolt 'em back on?

after dealing with crap in another bike i'd pump a few clean gallons from the tank thru the lines and see what comes out. make sure when it starts pumping its not rusty as the pump may have gotten hit by crap gas

For sure pump something through the pump BEFORE you connect the carbs back up! New fuel filter and then also drain the tank (there is a drain bolt in the bottom of the tank). You could get all new fuel lines but not sure you need to go that far with it.

Sean

Take your fuel pump apart and make sure it's not rusting on its own. You can add another filter between the pump and carbs if it's rusty.

Thanks for the guidance...sounds like my weekend project! Any idea off the top of anyone's head what a new fuel pump would set me back/where to find one for the best price?

If you find rust in your tank just pour a handful of bolts and nuts with some gas and give it a good shake and then pour EVERYTHING before reassembly. There are some good epoxy based sealants around

Just sync'd the carbs today. A BIG thank you to Sean and Danny for cleaning up my carbs clean as new. 2004 Max is running like the raped ape I remember taking home from the showroom floor. And many thanks as well go out to the forum members for posting SOoo much info that I could lurk to get my baby going again. The first ride I took fter installing those like-new carbs (albeit a short one) reclaimed a piece of me that's been missing since the military required me to leave town without enough free time to store my bike correctly. If anyone here ever wants a riding buddy in the Daytona Beach area, PM me! I love all things VMax, though life tends to distract me from it at times. Again, vmaxforum.net = tha SHIT/the bees knees/whatever the hell term you use to describe top notch/badass/downright awesome! Love y'all, and I will certainly continue lurking! :punk:

Latest posts

Back