Fuel tank cleaning

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

Parminio

Reaction score
Depends on what kind of shape it's in. If it doesn't have any interior rust I would just use some low suds fuel tank cleaner on it, clean the outside of it really good, repaint it and then reinstall it.

If you've got a lot of rust inside it you treat that with Vinegar and Baking Soda until the rust is gone, then do the low suds rinse, exterior clean, repaint then reinstall.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
Use the advanced search to get your needed info. There are many methods: electrolysis, acid, vinegar, nuts/bolts or steel shot in the tank, and then a couple hours in a clothes dryer, no heat, and the tank padded with old carpet, etc.

Parminio's vinegar suggestion works. He could elaborate on the bicarbonate of soda. Before you do this,
Remove the low fuel sensor!
Failure to remove the fuel sensor will destroy your potmetal sender body!

Install a blank-off plate in its place. Then fill with something like 6% or > cleaning vinegar, which is stronger than food-grade vinegar.

VMax gas sender switch.01.jpg

Whatever you use, if you rinse it out with water, it will flash-rust again before the inside of the tank dries from the water!

02GF74

Reaction score
After getting rid of the rust, it shouldn't be that difficult to zominc plate the inside - I watch a video of some Russian doing zinc (or nickel /cadmium platting) using a sponge dipped in electrolyte - obviously that won't be possible for the tank due to access.

DIY plating kits are available, if you're a whizz at chemistry then you could get the stuff cheaper.

02GF74

Reaction score
Yes FM mentioned that, on a car based forum this was a long running topic we're almost unidentifiable lumps of rust turned into pristine brake brackets. Most impressive.

Randy67500

Reaction score
Metal rescue works very well and has no effect on anything but iron oxide. Here are a couple photos of the tank off of an MT01 I cleaned. Before and after.

Attachments

• 20201210_133343.jpg
    20201210_133343.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 20210104_182735.jpg
    20210104_182735.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 42

02GF74

Reaction score
Yeah, getting rid of the rust is the relatively easy part, preventing the steel from rusting against is the harder part.

paulharland

Reaction score
I had 1/2 a cup of rust particles in my 1985 V max tank. I removed the tank and filled with white vinegar over night, reclaimed the vinegar and checked procress inside the tank, flushed out the rust particles and refilled the tank overnight again. Tank ended up bright and clean inside. I used metholated spirit to dewater. I used two stroke oil ( a little ) with the fresh fuel for a coulpe of fills then and now I always keep my fuel tank full. (no air = no corrosion). I have no leaks or issues with reserve light operation. If your tank is rusted I would be checking your carbies and fuel pump and hoses for rust contamination. (same treatment to clean). I do carry a spare fuel filter.
P.S. I often wish my tank had leaked because I would have a perfect excuse to spend the money on a 20 litre plastic tank for increased range.

CaptainKyle

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, getting rid of the rust is the relatively easy part, preventing the steel from rusting against is the harder part.
I usually do not have a problem with rust coming back after I clean one . If you fill the tank to the top every time when done riding it does not leave room for condensation.

HAMMER65

Reaction score
Use the advanced search to get your needed info. There are many methods: electrolysis, acid, vinegar, nuts/bolts or steel shot in the tank, and then a couple hours in a clothes dryer, no heat, and the tank padded with old carpet, etc.

Parminio's vinegar suggestion works. He could elaborate on the bicarbonate of soda. Before you do this,
Remove the low fuel sensor!
Failure to remove the fuel sensor will destroy your potmetal sender body!

Install a blank-off plate in its place. Then fill with something like 6% or > cleaning vinegar, which is stronger than food-grade vinegar.

View attachment 79163

Whatever you use, if you rinse it out with water, it will flash-rust again before the inside of the tank dries from the water!
Thank you

Latest posts