• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

fuel tank needed

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bummer. I thought you were able to get the rust rinsed out finally, Barry. It's hard to believe anything big enough to clog jets could make it through a good fuel filter, but it sure seems to do that - a lot - on these Vmaxes.

I bought a crappy metal fuel filter because it was the right size. I should have looked in it before i installed it. It was a screen only I guess. That said, rust dust is pretty fine stuff. My carbs had a lot of rust n them. Clogged two pilot jets. The new fuel tank is nice.

Check your fuel pump also for rusty crap would not hurt to install a 2nd filter after pump..
Lucky for me I had already thought about this happening. Thanks for the heads up. I flushed the fuel lines and took the pump apart and cleaned it. Then I activated the pump flowing the fuel into a white container, I still had rust. Finally installed a second filter after the pump, ran the pump and all is clean now.
That rust got everywhere!!

That rust got everywhere!!
Been there,, Done that..
I got so pissed after getting some bad gas, I said, f_ck it and pull the tank out, picked up kit of that KBS 3 step tank sealer kit, KBS.jpg

followed the directions closely. Now, it looks like pure water has bee running thru the carbs. It was so bad that I decided to fully clean the fuel system before re-mounting the (now coated) tank, back in the bike. I pulled the pump, cleaned the diaphragms, in and out tubes, all rubber fuel lines also.. I didn't want a speck of foreign matter in there. 3 years now,,, Still spotless.

Back