Fuel Tank outlet blocked

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schenckster

Reaction score
Been having some troubles with fuel starvation and finally found the culprit. The fuel tank outlet is clogged. I got a old throttle cable cut it and hooked it up to a drill to remove the blockage. I removed a lot of residue from the outlet but can't get it unblocked.

Compressed air will makes its way through but blowing through or sucking with my mouth does nothing.

Looks like I am going to be dropping some $$ on a new tank unfortunately.

This bike has taken me for a run for my money lol but I love it.

Attachments

• IMG_3924.jpg
    IMG_3924.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 47
Sounds like you're on the right path. What about stranded copper wire, whatever gauge is close-to the gas supply tube diameter? Seems like that if frayed it should scour the opening from one end to the other.

The opening was sealed almost completely off from a reseal. I’m surprised the bike even ran at all. Smashed it with a a lot of air pressure and it opened up a bit.
Im going to trying to wrap something around it and pull the outlet to try and completely disconnect it from where it’s sealed to the bottom of the tank. I think I’ve got a 50/50 shot of getting it broke free or just breaking it haha. I’ll update tomorrow😂

Well, I want to thank you.

I've de-rusted and sealed many a fuel tank. I have a brand new tank on order for my new-to-me VMAX, but was thinking about just taking the time to redo my rusty tank and save some money. Now that I see the pic of the inside of your tank I don't think I'll be attempting to seal it. I'll let the order run through and get my brandy new tank.

Sorry I can't help on unblockage ideas. Maybe it's a consolation that you saved me the same aggravation?

Tank a long rod and blunt the end and then dimple out the area a bit to gain some clearance. Probably be ok after that.

At first I tied getting a rod to dimple it out but couldn't get the right angle due to the opening of the tank. I was able to get a ratchet strap around the pickup and ratchet it free. I finally can blow through the fuel pick up freely. What a wild ride the issue has been.

I have a long move soon and unfortunately can't bring the bike. I'm just happy I'll get a months worth of riding with the problem resolved.

...I have a long move soon and unfortunately can't bring the bike. I'm just happy I'll get a months worth of riding with the problem resolved...

Dude, can't bring your motorcycle? Where are you moving to that you can't bring a Vmax?

Dude, can't bring your motorcycle? Where are you moving to that you can't bring a Vmax?
Moving to New York City. I'd love to bring the bike but parking fees are outrageous and driving in the city would take the fun out of the bike haha

Moving to New York City. I'd love to bring the bike but parking fees are outrageous and driving in the city would take the fun out of the bike haha
As a former NYer, I agree with this statement. Parking is stupid ridiculous. Its almost a mortgage payment to park anything. If you have an apartment on the ground floor, you might be able to wiggle it in to save. I was on a 5th floor walk up. Truck and bike were always parked at work. Subways and walking is the only real way to get around.

Latest posts

Back