1st Gen V-Max Fully restored 1986 Vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am pretty big on details. Small details. Cleanliness is a detail. Shiny bits where once there were not is a detail. Removal of superfluous stuff. (think rubber cam cover shields). The almost universal sloppy welding on the Gen1 frames has always bothered me. Never enough to smooth them out, but I've thought about it. (But certainly not because I would be afraid that it could never be "restored" after that). Sometimes small details overlooked by the manufacturer beg to be tended. And Kenji Ekuan might even be somewhere nodding and stroking his beard.

As it stands today, the Gen1 Vmax is not a rare beast. There are plenty of original survivors around. Make them better. Restore. Refurbish. Restify. Rehabilitate. Reinstate. Reinstitute. Ressurect. Take your pick. A rose by any other name.
TY well put well said!

resto mods bring big bucks when done right
That's where the market seem to be right now, it could change in 6 months. If anyone wants to see where to see the resto-mod market is now, look at Jon Ward's Relic cars. Ward makes $200K+ cars for people who can afford them, cars that wear their original paint 'patina' proudly, but which are modern mechanicals, definitely not something scraped together from the local wrecking yard on Sale Day.
https://petrolicious.com/articles/j...4-design-on-cornering-the-4x4-restomod-market
Jon Ward came into popular acclaim when he showed up at Car and Driver with a car for them to road test. At first there was reluctance to entertain a walk-up 'hot-rodder,' but Ward's Cadillac Seville with what amounted to a NASCAR engine detuned to be able to run on the street, turned 170 mph, and this is back in the era when stock Detroit cars were struggling to break 130.

Ward can tell his own story, be sure to read the website, check out the completed rides, the ones underway, and whatever other content you see. If you're a gearhead, there is plenty to peruse.
https://www.icon4x4.com/about-icon/our_story
1650052832774.png

One of the available projects, a Hudson pickup, which to me is one of the best-looking light trucks.

I know Sean will provide 440 Roadrunner content and 427 Impala content when he's progressed. I've been following his builds as he accomplishes work.

He wants to ride, he's posted about it multiple places and you've kindly answered him at both.

'silversurfer,' it's advantageous to post your location by your avatar, there may be someone close-by who can help you with something, or help locate a riding partner. Adding your year of bike in the signature area, can help people offering information to you.

For instance:
as CaptainKyle said, 1985-1989 ignition boxes are the same; 1990-2007 are the same. The ignition pick-up coils also follow those same year breaks. The wire harnesses are different also, by the same years.

front ends are 40mm downtubes/sliders 1985-1992; 43mm downtubes/sliders from 1993-2007. That includes differences in calipers and rotors also, where simple bolt-on and properly-sized calipers and rotors in front also follow those years.

Back