Fun Tip: Stupid trim push clips in scoops.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caseyjones955

Reaction score
This is RE those stupid push clips that hold the grills in the radiator shrouds and rubber trim pieces on the scoops over the carbs. They are just like Jesus clips but the ring is solid making them even more fun to work with.

I recently painted my bike which included the radiator shrouds and clearcoat also included the scoops. I found the above mentioned clips difficult to work with. Removing them entailed deforming them with needle nose then prying them off, or cutting them where I could. I was being cautious not to snap any of the pegs off so it became a nuisance. I didnt have any replacement clips and didnt feel like going to town to find some only to have to mess with them should I have to remove them again.

I found several sizes of new old stock authentic braided German fuel and vac line from my air cooled VW days. I cut ~ 1/8" - 1/4" sections of it and pushed them firmly over the pegs in lieu of the push clips. They snug up and hold admirably well, I like braided fuel line but I think any appropriately sized fuel or vac line would work if the pegs are clean and dry and the the line is new. The pegs in the scoops are larger than those in the shrouds. I'm sure I'm not the first one to think of this but I never saw it printed so just thought I would throw it out there in the event that it might help someone else doing some bodywork or just not wanting to handle those PITA clips.

I lost the originals.. I've used these..
Retainer.jpg

You can get them at Lowe's or Home Depot cheap.

I think they are called "round spring nuts", or similar. I had to find new ones for the back side of Shala's 09 scoops.

Spring clips, I call them. Any well-stocked hardware store should have them. I even have a pair of pliers for removing them, the jaws move parallel opening & closing, instead of how a pair of slip-joint pliers opens/closes. You start the spring clip off by using a flat-blade screwdriver to pry it away from whatever it's securing. Sometimes the clip will fall-off, or sometimes you use the tool.

I'm always looking for reasonable workarounds. Glad there is now information here for guys that want to replace the clips as well as an alternative. I love forums! :eusa_dance:

Back