"Functioning" Scoop

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olds Guy

Reaction score
I am making my left side scoop really a air scoop. With the factory air box gone, there is a lot of room to relocate the electrical from the left side up by the map sensor (I am calling it a map sensor as that is kind of how it functions). Since the V Boost is removed I do not need to keep the control box on the bike. I like the looks of the screen in front of the "blocked" scoop so I will cut the plastic out of the back.

I am sure this has been done a thousand times but I was working on the bike and thought -Hey - lets get some fresh air in there.

Try searching as this has been done by several guys. Some great threads about it. Some things to look out for though. Making both scoops functional is also possible.

I am sure this has been done a thousand times but I was working on the bike and thought -Hey - lets get some fresh air in there.

You are correct - have a read of this. The benefit isn't huge, even less if you do only one side, but well done you for having a go!

Yeah, too-bad the buy-in for Rick Bachmann's product is $$$. The Ramair4VMax is a well-designed product, and it apparently works, not a big improvement, but a significant one. Three percent here, four percent there, and soon you pick-up eight & a half horsepower on a 120 HP engine.

Buying used Stage 7 or Morley's carbs & a good used pipe should exceed the claims for this.

Ram air works!!

Having formally owned a ZX-11 , I couldn't leave well enough alone so I modifed the air box and ramair system a bit .Just seat of the pants gains, but because one of the mods extended the inlet foward into less turblent air ---- it didn't look very good.
Other mods--- insulating the botton of the air box against heat of the motor and really good sealing of the box itself.( cold intake air is good)

Sometimes I wish I hadn't sold the "X". It was a great bike ( with ALL my mods) but my passenger was not comfortable on it. Thus a Honda Valkyrie.

Lew

Ram air works!!

Having formally owned a ZX-11 , I couldn't leave well enough alone so I modifed the air box and ramair system a bit .Just seat of the pants gains, but because one of the mods extended the inlet foward into less turblent air ---- it didn't look very good.
Other mods--- insulating the botton of the air box against heat of the motor and really good sealing of the box itself.( cold intake air is good)

Sometimes I wish I hadn't sold the "X". It was a great bike ( with ALL my mods) but my passenger was not comfortable on it. Thus a Honda Valkyrie.

Lew

Damn, now you have me thinking of building a cover for the top of the carbs/bottom of teh K&N's. I think a flat piece of aluminum the slides over the top of the carb openings would be great. I will make one when I get the carbs back and tuned. It might be a couple of weeks before I get it done but will post pictures.

Back