Funny Article "How not to be a squid"

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traumahawk

Reaction score
You may have seen them in the wild, being passed by one at triple digit speeds on the highway, or almost hit by one crossing the double yellow line on a windy road. The squid is a dangerous species, but not to fear; it is generally most dangerous to itself. The good news? The squid generally gains wisdom with age, and can sometimes be trained.

If you've been a part of a riding community, either in person or online, for any amount of time, you've heard the term "squid." This odd word is used to describe a rider who exhibits that deadly combination of both inexperience and overconfidence, usually identified by a conspicuous lack of adequate riding gear. The term is used to mock those riders who are a danger to themselves or to others with their risky behavior, usually to embarrass them into being smarter riders. But what does this funny word really mean, and where did it come from anyway?

Definition of 'Squid'
Squid is slang, and therefore difficult to accurately define; but it has a definite "you know it when you see it" quality. One particularly good definition comes to us from Urban Dictionary:

A young motorcyclist who overestimates his abilities, boasts of his riding skills when in reality he has none. Squid bikes are usually decorated with chrome and various anodized bits. Rear tires are too wide for their own good, swingarm extended. Really slow in the corners, and sudden bursts of acceleration when a straight appears. Squids wear no protection, deeming themselves invincible. This fact compounds itself with the fact that they engage in 'extreme riding,' performing wheelies and stoppies in public areas. Squids wreck a lot. A contraction of the phrase 'squirrely kid.'"
One point of contention has to do with what types of bikes squids ride. Different riding communities naturally point the finger at each other. But because squidliness is more of an attitude, any type of bike can have a squid in the saddle. In fact, while these days 'squid' is often used to describe a rider with a lack of gear, the term really has more to do with immaturity and inexperience than anything else. A true squid is more reckless than simply gearless (though both are obviously bad.)

I did, however, run across one particularly awesome definition that had me laughing: "a squid is the annoying sport bike riding cousin of wannabe-outlaw yuppies riding cruisers. While it is possible to be a squid on a cruiser, its more likely the type of person who would buy a sport bike to begin with."

What Makes Someone a 'Squid?'
Many riders call others "squids," but nobody wants to be called one. Even a responsible rider may do 'squiddish' things from time to time, like ditch the jacket on a scorching day for a short ride (admit it, you've done it) but the same rider would say something to the effect of "I'm not a squid, a squid does X or Y and I don't!"

But the bottom line is that a squid takes unnecessary and foolish risks, regardless of what kind of bike he is riding or how much gear he has on, endangering himself and often others as well.

motorcycle squid couple on sport bike It's all fun and games, until someone loses an eye...and 30% of their skin, $25K in medical bills, and their girl.

Signs You May Be a Squid:
You don't have a license because the DMV test is just retarded and has nothing to do with "real riding."
When you gear up for a ride you put on sunglasses and gloves, cause gear looks "douchey." Besides, how else can chicks see your sweet guns?
Your riding body position is squished fully forward in the seat, heels hooked on your pegs, and toes splayed outward because that's what the other riders in your crew do.
You think the most wonderful sound a motorcycle can make is bouncing off the rev limiter.
You have a mohawk on your helmet or spikes on your bike.
You ride with an action cam so you can post the crazy stuff you do on YouTube...besides, cops can't "prove" it was you in the video.
You rev the crap out of your engine to get other drivers' attention (besides, motorcycle horns are lame.)
When you see another rider on the street, your first thoughts are about how much cooler you look than him.
Your plan when you get your tax refund is to finally fix that crash damage you didn't tell the insurance company about.
Your motorcycle training course consisted of the salesperson at the dealership showing you how to use a clutch.
The first piece of motorcycle gear you invested in was sunglasses that match your bike.
You think the proper way to warm up your tires before a ride is a burnout.
You rev your engine constantly to keep it running because the idle is so choppy (but really its to let people know you've arrived.)

How Can You Avoid Being a Squid?
Think about the consequences when things go wrong on a bike. Sure riding with just a t-shirt on is liberating and power wheelies are a rush, but the down sides vastly outweigh the fleeting moments of fun. Is the brief feeling of the sun on your arms worth 2 months in bed with skin grafts and thousands of dollars in medical bills? Doubt it.

Get trained: The Hurt Report, an aging but very in-depth study of the causes and effects of motorcycle accidents, states that 92% of motorcycle accidents involve riders taught to ride by family and friends. Over half of accidents involved riders with less than 6 months on the accident motorcycle as well. The solution: take a training course or do a track day, and do it on YOUR bike. Motorcycling is an art form; easy to take up, but takes years to master, and training and practice is everything.

Wear gear: You could have decades of riding experience under your belt, but even the best rider in the world can hit an oil spot or get hit by a wayward car driver. Motorcycle gear drastically reduces the potential for injury in this inherently risky sport, and most experienced and skilled riders recognize this. No matter who you are, riding without basic safety gear makes it look like you have no idea what you're doing.

Be responsible and respectful: The road is a shared place (and a dangerous place.) While you may think you look very cool doing stunts or burnouts on the street, and you may have done it hundreds of times before, the people around you are probably only thinking about how you are putting them in danger. Putting other people in harm's way just screams "squid."

http://www.bikebandit.com/blog/post...1817_BBNews&utm_content=how_not_to_be_a_squid

Attachments

• motorcycle-squid-demotivational-poster.jpg
    motorcycle-squid-demotivational-poster.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 41
  • motorcycle-squid-on-cruiser.jpg
    motorcycle-squid-on-cruiser.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 39
  • motorcycle-squid-couple-on-sport-bike.jpg
    motorcycle-squid-couple-on-sport-bike.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 39
  • motorcycle-squid-girl.jpg
    motorcycle-squid-girl.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 39
You may have seen them in the wild, being passed by one at triple digit speeds on the highway, or almost hit by one crossing the double yellow line on a windy road. The squid is a dangerous species, but not to fear; it is generally most dangerous to itself. The good news? The squid generally gains wisdom with age, and can sometimes be trained.

If you've been a part of a riding community, either in person or online, for any amount of time, you've heard the term "squid." This odd word is used to describe a rider who exhibits that deadly combination of both inexperience and overconfidence, usually identified by a conspicuous lack of adequate riding gear. The term is used to mock those riders who are a danger to themselves or to others with their risky behavior, usually to embarrass them into being smarter riders. But what does this funny word really mean, and where did it come from anyway?

Definition of 'Squid'
Squid is slang, and therefore difficult to accurately define; but it has a definite "you know it when you see it" quality. One particularly good definition comes to us from Urban Dictionary:

A young motorcyclist who overestimates his abilities, boasts of his riding skills when in reality he has none. Squid bikes are usually decorated with chrome and various anodized bits. Rear tires are too wide for their own good, swingarm extended. Really slow in the corners, and sudden bursts of acceleration when a straight appears. Squids wear no protection, deeming themselves invincible. This fact compounds itself with the fact that they engage in 'extreme riding,' performing wheelies and stoppies in public areas. Squids wreck a lot. A contraction of the phrase 'squirrely kid.'"
One point of contention has to do with what types of bikes squids ride. Different riding communities naturally point the finger at each other. But because squidliness is more of an attitude, any type of bike can have a squid in the saddle. In fact, while these days 'squid' is often used to describe a rider with a lack of gear, the term really has more to do with immaturity and inexperience than anything else. A true squid is more reckless than simply gearless (though both are obviously bad.)

I did, however, run across one particularly awesome definition that had me laughing: "a squid is the annoying sport bike riding cousin of wannabe-outlaw yuppies riding cruisers. While it is possible to be a squid on a cruiser, its more likely the type of person who would buy a sport bike to begin with."

What Makes Someone a 'Squid?'
Many riders call others "squids," but nobody wants to be called one. Even a responsible rider may do 'squiddish' things from time to time, like ditch the jacket on a scorching day for a short ride (admit it, you've done it) but the same rider would say something to the effect of "I'm not a squid, a squid does X or Y and I don't!"

But the bottom line is that a squid takes unnecessary and foolish risks, regardless of what kind of bike he is riding or how much gear he has on, endangering himself and often others as well.

motorcycle squid couple on sport bike It's all fun and games, until someone loses an eye...and 30% of their skin, $25K in medical bills, and their girl.

Signs You May Be a Squid:
You don't have a license because the DMV test is just retarded and has nothing to do with "real riding."
When you gear up for a ride you put on sunglasses and gloves, cause gear looks "douchey." Besides, how else can chicks see your sweet guns?
Your riding body position is squished fully forward in the seat, heels hooked on your pegs, and toes splayed outward because that's what the other riders in your crew do.
You think the most wonderful sound a motorcycle can make is bouncing off the rev limiter.
You have a mohawk on your helmet or spikes on your bike.
You ride with an action cam so you can post the crazy stuff you do on YouTube...besides, cops can't "prove" it was you in the video.
You rev the crap out of your engine to get other drivers' attention (besides, motorcycle horns are lame.)
When you see another rider on the street, your first thoughts are about how much cooler you look than him.
Your plan when you get your tax refund is to finally fix that crash damage you didn't tell the insurance company about.
Your motorcycle training course consisted of the salesperson at the dealership showing you how to use a clutch.
The first piece of motorcycle gear you invested in was sunglasses that match your bike.
You think the proper way to warm up your tires before a ride is a burnout.
You rev your engine constantly to keep it running because the idle is so choppy (but really its to let people know you've arrived.)

How Can You Avoid Being a Squid?
Think about the consequences when things go wrong on a bike. Sure riding with just a t-shirt on is liberating and power wheelies are a rush, but the down sides vastly outweigh the fleeting moments of fun. Is the brief feeling of the sun on your arms worth 2 months in bed with skin grafts and thousands of dollars in medical bills? Doubt it.

Get trained: The Hurt Report, an aging but very in-depth study of the causes and effects of motorcycle accidents, states that 92% of motorcycle accidents involve riders taught to ride by family and friends. Over half of accidents involved riders with less than 6 months on the accident motorcycle as well. The solution: take a training course or do a track day, and do it on YOUR bike. Motorcycling is an art form; easy to take up, but takes years to master, and training and practice is everything.

Wear gear: You could have decades of riding experience under your belt, but even the best rider in the world can hit an oil spot or get hit by a wayward car driver. Motorcycle gear drastically reduces the potential for injury in this inherently risky sport, and most experienced and skilled riders recognize this. No matter who you are, riding without basic safety gear makes it look like you have no idea what you're doing.

Be responsible and respectful: The road is a shared place (and a dangerous place.) While you may think you look very cool doing stunts or burnouts on the street, and you may have done it hundreds of times before, the people around you are probably only thinking about how you are putting them in danger. Putting other people in harm's way just screams "squid."

http://www.bikebandit.com/blog/post...1817_BBNews&utm_content=how_not_to_be_a_squid

Your thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c90Hz24lHtE

Well actually posted this article to develop a discussion, so what are your thoughts?

But, i see gear, dont see anyone texting on their bikes.......and I didnt see mohawks on any helments.

Lots of tracks in that area and i recall seeing them allowed on a Nascar track also. My thoughts are there are tracks built for that reason-not the streets--:clapping:
Your thoughts?

Well Ive talked to Scuff quite often over the phone.....

I cant really see him doing this and being a squid.

Attachments

• motorcycle-squid-girl.jpg
    motorcycle-squid-girl.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 13
The idiot on the H-D in traumahawk's pic #2 is the eh-pee-toam, as Cindy Crawford once said (epitome), of squidliness. You don't have to be riding a sportbike to be a squid.

Definitely guilty of ditching the riding jacket on my daily work commute when it gets over 90 degrees at times. Always feel dumb afterwards. Worst I ever got hurt was from wrecking a scooter at 5 miles an hour in shorts and a t-shirt . Took years for the scars to go away. Laid down my old track bike 3 different times at triple digit speeds without a scratch to me thanks to full leathers and a quality back brace.

Well actually posted this article to develop a discussion, so what are your thoughts?

But, i see gear, dont see anyone texting on their bikes.......and I didnt see mohawks on any helments.

What could possibly sound better than a group of Vmax's ? A Vmax pulling a hole shot is one. Tks for posting this. It still stirs up something deep inside.

So are skull cap helmets a sign of squid. Cause that always seemed crazy to not wear full face . Then again I forgot some states you don't have to wear a helmet at all. You do in Oregon.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

So are skull cap helmets a sign of squid. Cause that always seemed crazy to not wear full face . Then again I forgot some states you don't have to wear a helmet at all. You do in Oregon.

I know the owners of vehicles in Oregon cannot put gas in their own cars but can bikers put gas in their tanks?
What are skull cap helmets?:ummm:

I know the owners of vehicles in Oregon cannot put gas in their own cars but can bikers put gas in their tanks?
What are skull cap helmets?:ummm:
Yeah most gas station workers hand the hose over.
I guess I don't know what they are called but the tiny helmets that only cover the top of your head. The cool guys on Harleys with ape hanger bars wear them.

I guess I don't know what they are called but the tiny helmets that only cover the top of your head. The cool guys on Harleys with ape hanger bars wear them.

I understand now.Beanies.

If its not your game, don't play. Save the labeling, its LAME!
Hey man if that's for me I'm just playing. I have a lot of friends that I just described that wear those helmets . Meant no disrespect. And in all honesty as I asked earlier I was wondering if it was "squiddy" based on the not so much face coverage but cool looks, that's all.
Wasn't trying to label.

Hey man if that's for me I'm just playing. I have a lot of friends that I just described that wear those helmets . Meant no disrespect. And in all honesty as I asked earlier I was wondering if it was "squiddy" based on the not so much face coverage but cool looks, that's all.
Wasn't trying to label.

The labeling is in the original thread.

There is no adult helmet law in SD, as it should be in every state, but I have a full face on any time the key is in the ignition, I believe it's stupid not to fully protect your melon with distracted drivers being the norm. I also believe in the freedom to choose for yourself what sort of safety gear you use, if any. Beanie lids are to satisfy the legal requirement in states with more intrusive laws.

The choice of spirited riding style is a different story. If houses can be seen from the road the WOT passes, wheelies and 3rd gear scratch are just plain rude. I'm not one of those "Save it for the race track" guys but consideration and respect for local residents is just good form. That being said those empty non-residential roads are a great place to let your inner Guy Martin surface.

Hey Donny, there used to be another guy on this forum that seemed to play devil's advocate to just about everything anyone posted, particularly Traumahawk. He's not around anymore and we miss him and his thought provoking comments. He lives in the LA area as well. You two should get together I'll bet you'll get along wonderfully.

Traumahawk's post was for us all to have a chuckle about the definition of a squid not argue about the evils of tossing label's around. Lets leave that to the liberal experts and indulge in a good laugh at how ridiculous someone looks ripping down the highway at 80mph in a t shirt, shorts and flip flops.

Traumahawk's post was for us all to have a chuckle about the definition of a squid not argue about the evils of tossing label's around. Lets leave that to the liberal experts and indulge in a good laugh at how ridiculous someone looks ripping down the highway at 80mph in a t shirt, shorts and flip flops.

I saw that guy this morning and I wish I could have taken a picture of it. I was on the 44 turning onto 385 on my Venture and he went by headed towards Deadwood. You guys would have LOVED THIS! I'll try to paint the picture.

Generic Vtwin, black wife beater, Jean cut-offs that were way too short for a male, the bottoms of the pockets were flapping in the breeze. White frame Oakley style glasses, a dewrag with what looked like a skull and flames, and some almost neon green flip flops. It looked like the Salvation Army threw up on the bike and pushed it down the road, it was awesome!

I have to get a gopro, I cant let an image like that slip by again! I know there will be others too. The guy in this thread with his feet up on the bars trumps it but its still fun :clapping:

Back